Redfoot Care (in depth)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
I believe the last few posts point out that RFs unlike many other torts due have a significant animal protein intake after the hatchling stage. In my eyes this shows that RFs have different dietary requirements than is acknowledged by many.

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
ArkansasKelly said:
I have a turkey farm and we have to cull turkeys that do not grow. I have started tossing freshed killed culled turkeys into the redfoot and box turtle pens and they go nuts fighting over them. Also, when my dogs find and kill animals such as rabbits and such, I toss the remains in the pen and those are also eaten with gusto. Can't say my torts do not get their protein intake. LOL

ARKelly

Kelly, did they eat the turkey bones ? Ive always heard that because the bones splinter you shouldnt feed them to your dogs. Have you ever had a problem with them eating the bones? Also how often do you feed them turkeys? It isnt something you did one time or somthing like that right?

ArkansasKelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NW Arkansas
[/quote]

Kelly, did they eat the turkey bones ? Ive always heard that because the bones splinter you shouldnt feed them to your dogs. Have you ever had a problem with them eating the bones? Also how often do you feed them turkeys? It isnt something you did one time or somthing like that right?
[/quote]

Yes, they eat the bones also. If anyone ever doubted the strength of a torts jaws, all they have to do is watch them eat bones. It is amazing.

I have never had problems with them eating the bones or anything else. Except maybe the feet, of course, I would not eat those either. :p I have never witnessed splintering the turkey bones, but I guess that is always possible.

As far as feeding turkey, I give them one or more (depends on size) at least every 2 weeks. I will say they like chicken better, but they will tolerate turkey, if they have to. LOL

ARKelly

P.S. My dog eats live/dead/rotten turkey all the time and he has never had problems with the bones. Remember, what I feed are fresh killed. Most bones that are fed to dogs have gone through the cooking phase and the bones have become brittle. :D

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
ohhhh ok that makes sense about the cooking that makes them brittle.

Can you take some pictures next time they eat a turtkey? If you dont feel comfortable posting them online because of other people you can email them to me. I am really interested in seeing them eat a turkey.

I am thinking I need to feed a lot more protien to my adults...

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Kelly, maybe you could post the pictures. I would like to see that too. Aren't the turkey's way bigger than the torts?

ArkansasKelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NW Arkansas
I have no problems posting pictures of them eating a turkey. I will just warn people before they look at it.

Terryo: I grow what is called small grown turkeys so they are only 10 weeks old or 10lbs when they are shipped to market. Right now, the birds are 4 weeks of age so they are only about 2-3lbs. One that size is perfect for my 4 adults reds.

ARKelly

ArkansasKelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NW Arkansas
Most people think that when they think of turkey. Those are normally heavy hens and toms. We are just a few farms that grow the small grown birds. If you ever go into the grocery store and pick up the, oh lets say, 3lb turkey breast, that is what ours is normally grown for.

I do have about 60lbs of turkey breast meat in the freezer, but that would not be good to feed to the torts because it has been injected with the butter mix. They would probably like it, but it would not be good for them. :)

I fed a turkey last week and would normally feed another one next week, but I will feed one this week to see if the torts will eat it and get some pictures. Most of the time they will not eat one every week, but we shall see.

ARKelly

Status
Not open for further replies.