Redfoot Caresheet.. w/results?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
It really fascinates me how much disagreement there is on keeping an animal that was one of the most popular pet tortoises in the US for a while, and that has been kept as a pet for decades. When you review the documentation of people or groups that have kept large numbers of these for years and had solid breeding success, it is absolutely amazing how few things they agree on.

It seems that the standards by which tortoise herd husbandry is measured is- looking at the herd as a whole-:
- Healthy skeletal development- properly shaped and strong shell, and strong well-formed limbs. Shells that are flattened or depressed seem to affect the animals more than 'simple' pyramiding does- even Terry's experience seems to show that tortoises with 'simple' pyramiding (no other underlying shell deformities) reproduce well.
- Longevity
- Fertility and hatchling health

Terry's herd seems to meet the criteria- as do many other people's and group's. His methodology is simple and repeatable- almost anyone who follows it will get good result. Other people and groups use different methodologies- some are pretty easy to follow, some are pretty complex. Some break every 'rule' we make and still have great results.

It also really amuses me how different the personalities of the 'big guns' I have 'met' on-line are. There are a couple I think are insane, a couple I respect but would not particularly want to meet, a couple I would love to have an adult beverage with, and a couple I want to move in next door to. As a newbie, I just appreciate that these men and women are willing to share their hard-earned knowledge with me!

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
As a newbie, I just appreciate that these men and women are willing to share their hard-earned knowledge with me!

Thank you Mark { other than "Your caresheet 'method's' brought my redfoot back to life" } that's really the best thing you or anyone could say.

Most of the 'big-guns' that I commune with are humble thankful folks that enjoy the responsibility and joy of 'producing' healthy tortoises. And most of them have no desire to be 'public'.. for some of the very reasons that have been demonstrated in this thread of late.

Unfortunately 'human nature' is something we all have to deal with. Some do at an early age.. some never do! I've found that ego, greed, pride and poor self-image/esteem prevent some "good" people from ever experiencing their "full" potential because they carry around unforgiveness and/or the unwillingness to confess and forget.

Thanks again Mark!

Terry K

shawngt2

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Toronto
This is rediculous, we are all well above 15 years of age and just because you get tired of someone pushing their regime and discussing things in what appears to be an egotistical and rude manner gets to me after a while, not to mention that many questions don't get answered and/or get pushed off to the side.

Some people in life are docile and others are argumentative. It is immature to assume that because you are argumentative you have a low self esteem, that's just ridiculous. Or that if you are over 15 you should not argue (that was hilarious when I read that one=). If this life was full of people who just agreed or kept to themselves whenever someone is backpedaling, saying something incorrect or pushing their ways by casting other ideas or questions aside, what kind of world would this be? This is not the first time there has been a problem and there are many other people that don't even choose to acknowledge this banter anymore. I have had more than enough emails saying that it's about time someone speaks up (and I'm not the only one here because some others would rather write private than public). Terry, on redfoots.com please feel free to say and treat people they way you want but we don't need this site to be redfoots2.com either. Freedom of speech is a great thing. You are fueling the fire of good vs. bad. You are creating this two sided battle even when you respond to others. It's amazing how your tone changes in times like this vs. other times.

I can just imagine a workplace with meetings where there was no disagreement. As a Mechanical Engineer I know that everyone has different ideas, but also in a workplace or government where people just remain quite, even if they disagree would get us nowhere. To say that nerd is not fueling this fire would be nothing further from the truth.

Consider this my last email of an argumentative nature or being a part of any thread that is about proving who's methods work best. If there wasn't so much narrow mindedness this would be a much better experience.

Shawn

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
shawngt2 said:
This is rediculous, we are all well above 15 years of age and just because you get tired of someone pushing their regime and discussing things in what appears to be an egotistical and rude manner gets to me after a while, not to mention that many questions don't get answered and/or get pushed off to the side.

Some people in life are docile and others are argumentative. It is immature to assume that because you are argumentative you have a low self esteem, that's just ridiculous. Or that if you are over 15 you should not argue (that was hilarious when I read that one=). If this life was full of people who just agreed or kept to themselves whenever someone is backpedaling, saying something incorrect or pushing their ways by casting other ideas or questions aside, what kind of world would this be? This is not the first time there has been a problem and there are many other people that don't even choose to acknowledge this banter anymore. I have had more than enough emails saying that it's about time someone speaks up (and I'm not the only one here because some others would rather write private than public). Terry, on redfoots.com please feel free to say and treat people they way you want but we don't need this site to be redfoots2.com either. Freedom of speech is a great thing. You are fueling the fire of good vs. bad. You are creating this two sided battle even when you respond to others. It's amazing how your tone changes in times like this vs. other times.

I can just imagine a workplace with meetings where there was no disagreement. As a Mechanical Engineer I know that everyone has different ideas, but also in a workplace or government where people just remain quite, even if they disagree would get us nowhere. To say that nerd is not fueling this fire would be nothing further from the truth.

Consider this my last email of an argumentative nature or being a part of any thread that is about proving who's methods work best. If there wasn't so much narrow mindedness this would be a much better experience.

Shawn

Thank you Shawn for a very well written, well thought out post. Arent you glad no one can ever accuse us of being Sheep? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.