Not open for further replies.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
shawngt2 said:
Redfoot NERD said:
shawngt2 said:
Terry, concerning over feeding... if I feed greens to my guy and allow him to eat until he walks away, then remove the food, is this too much? I do this with the fruits and protein as well. I can measure his amounts as per care sheet but always considered this not as overfeeding. Would like some clarification on this.

I only do this once a day.

Thanks,

Shawn

Shawn if yours is walking away from food you are offering too much.. and they are eating too much.

Are you saying you are currently 'measuring' the amounts as prescribed on Redfoots.com Diet? We purpose to "underfeed".. keep them hungry!

Terry K

Thanks Terry, I'm going to cut back and give him what you recommend. He's eaten till full every time in the past six months but I don't think anything wrong is happening. What do you think of the pics I've posted?

Thanks again.

You'll have to refresh my memory again about your redfoots age and how long you have had him and what he looks like Shawn.

You have to realize I'm trying to get no less than 3 different ones "on-track" at any given time { emails and 2 different forums.. all of the time } - trying to get them to follow what has proven to work..
36_12_1.gif

Sometimes "changes" [ good or bad ] take time to manifest. Good changes usually show real soon - diet.. temps and lighting in- order usually results in a quick "recovery".

Bad changes - diet.. temps and lighting out-of-order - usually doesn't show until it's too late. IT TAKES A TORTOISE A LONG TIME TO DIE!

Hard truths...

NERD

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
S. Oregon
Here is some pics of Einstein that I got from Nerd as a hatchling up until June of 2007. I'll have to take a recent one of him but he looks about the same just a little bigger. I have followed Nerd's caresheet to the letter or as close as I was able to. Only difference is the outside time is less because of where I live.

01Eins7-26-05.jpg

Pip on July 26th 2005

02Eins10-26-05.jpg

3 months old 10-26-05

03Eins1-29-06.jpg

6 months old 1-29-06

04Eins5-21-06.jpg

Almost a year old 5-21-06

05Eins6-6-07.jpg

And almost 2 years old 6-6-07

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Madkins007 said:
Terry- I just read an article about female Red-foots with semi-male characteristics, possibly due to events in the egg. Here is a link to the article: http://www.herpetologica.org/revista/rev15/067-075 GUIX, F.ULLO Y MOL.pdf

I wonder if yours is an example of this?

Mark for some reason I can't open that article???

My guess about the "female(?)" Brazilian.. too young to tell! They always look like females from hatchlings.. and then [ 3-4 years later ] in a matter of a month the tail grows and the anal scutes widen and then the plastron starts to show concavity.. and never seems to stop!

Try emailing that article link.. or something(?)

Thanks again for the interest Mark...

Terry K

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Pat - Wa. state acquired a number of my hatchlings in early summer of '07 & '08.

As you might suspect.. the summers [ outside ] are not much longer than their winters [ inside ]. Even still she sticks with the program. I asked her to send me a few pics of how they were doing.. and she sent me a CD!

Her original group of '07 hatchlings - shipped in early May '07

FIRST8.jpg

And the group of '07 & '08 hatchlings - shipped in late June '08

2nd5.jpg

I'll send pics of how they look as of mid July.. ASAP

Terry K

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I see that my picture-taking skills leave MUCH to be desired. I'll try to clean up my YFs and take better shots. But it'll have to wait for a warmer day!

Yvonne

REDFOOTMATT

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
CA

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
We'll start with this pic.. most of them -

IMG_07962.jpg

Look at all the good stuff growing in their enclosure!

More to come...

NERD

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Virginia Creeper and Dandelion...

What a beautiful little line-up! What did you do to make them stay there for the photo shoot?

Yvonne

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Redfoot NERD said:
[

Mark for some reason I can't open that article???

My guess about the "female(?)" Brazilian.. too young to tell! They always look like females from hatchlings.. and then [ 3-4 years later ] in a matter of a month the tail grows and the anal scutes widen and then the plastron starts to show concavity.. and never seems to stop!

Try emailing that article link.. or something(?)

Thanks again for the interest Mark...

Terry K

It is a .pdf file, so you need Adobe Reader or a similar program to open it. You can get the program at http://get.adobe.com/reader/?promoid=BUIGO

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
emysemys said:
Virginia Creeper and Dandelion...

What a beautiful little line-up! What did you do to make them stay there for the photo shoot?

Yvonne

I didn't..... Pat and her friend did the line-up Yvonne! Any of the following pics will be from the CD that Pat's friend put together of Pat's group.

A few of Pat's yearling's and older -

IMG_07822.jpg

Pat has done a great job of keeping them healthy and carapace smooth.. don't ya think?

NERD

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
S. Oregon
Here is Hercules that I got from Nerd in May 2007 and with the color on the head just had to rename him to Carrot Top.

001Carrot5-31-06.jpg

Just a baby 5-31-06

003Carot4-19-07.jpg

About 1 year old in this pic 4-19-07

002Carot5-10-07.jpg

Just over a year old here 5-10-07

004Carrot7-30-08-1.jpg

And here is Carrot Top as of 7-30-08 at about 2 years 3 months old

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Pat fenced off a nice patch of "weeds" for the outside enclosure.. for her 'dozen' kids!

One of them that has Brazilian blood in him.. almost a yearling -

IMG_08922.jpg

"My husband has horses.. so I'm having my redfoot babies - and they deserve the best! I hope one of my grandson's takes an interest in them.. 'cause they'll outlive me".. Pat claimed.

Terry K

Chucky said:
Here is Hercules that I got from Nerd in May 2007 and with the color on the head just had to rename him to Carrot Top.

001Carrot5-31-06.jpg

Just a baby 5-31-06

003Carot4-19-07.jpg

About 1 year old in this pic 4-19-07

002Carot5-10-07.jpg

Just over a year old here 5-10-07

004Carrot7-30-08-1.jpg

And here is Carrot Top as of 7-30-08 at about 2 years 3 months old

Thanks Chucky!

He was started right.. and grew like a weed the first year is why I called him Hercules. You can see from his 4/19/07 pic that it is possible to have a perfectly smooth carapace on a yearling.. etc.!

Why didn't I keep him? What a beautiful redfoot.. and Chucky has kept him that way.

NERD

Pat's friend was able to catch a few nice one's of the "kids".. as Pat calls them [ early '07 hatchling ] -

IMG_08542.jpg

He originally was one of my "KEEPERS".. but Pat wanted a 'yellow' one!

Here at a few months old -

Banana.jpg

NERD

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Keep them hungry? I guess even redfoots go on a diet for new years! = )
Good to see you back at TFO Terry.

Chucky that is one of the nicest redfoots I have seen!

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Redfootedboxturtles said:
Keep them hungry? I guess even redfoots go on a diet for new years! = )
Good to see you back at TFO Terry.

Chucky that is one of the nicest redfoots I have seen!

Thanks Vince!.. let's see the ones you got...

NERD

How about this one? Another one of Pat's -

IMG_08802.jpg

NERD

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
How's this for smooth? -

IMG_08702.jpg

This one.. from Pat.. hatched out with virtually no colors on the carapace - you can see [ above ] the nice head and leg colors tho'. And from the top -

IMG_08712.jpg

Come on guys - I know there are those of you ( with mine and others ) that have followed the system with good results!

Let's see 'em... [ Larry.. Vince.. ? ]

NERD

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
How old is the last one that you posted, Terry? I kind of like the contrast of the bright head and legs and the simpler shell :) Then again, I always have an eye for the unique. One thing that always caught my eye about the Redfoots is that the head and legs of each are soooo diferent. There is such a possiblity for variation it is crazy.

Kristina

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
kyryah said:
How old is the last one that you posted, Terry? I kind of like the contrast of the bright head and legs and the simpler shell :) Then again, I always have an eye for the unique. One thing that always caught my eye about the Redfoots is that the head and legs of each are soooo diferent. There is such a possiblity for variation it is crazy.

Kristina

When Pat's friend took that pic he was 7 months old.

This is a 'unique' one Katrina.. one of the first ones I hatched in '05.. I liked this one a lot... -

Gabsguy3.jpg

And the 'marginals' on this '08 -

DSC002582.jpg

DSC002622.jpg

NERD

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
WOW, I am pretty much speechless on the second one... I LOVE the dark to light contrast!

Kristina

Status
Not open for further replies.