Redfoot Enclosure Drawing

dwright27

5 Year Member
Alright everyone,
Here is what I have for my future build for my RF. However, after measuring the rooms I have, I will probably have to start smaller and work up to the 8x6. As it is right now, I might be able to fit 4x6 and it would be a bit tight. What I'd love is to install some track shelving on all of the walls in the house so I can clear floor space (we have a LOT of book cases...)

Anyway, I'd love to get some opinions before I send it off for a quote. The windows would be plexiglass; he doesn't seem comfortable working with glass, plus the risk of it breaking in transit.

The three pieces will be bolted together so that I can dismantle them if I need to. I've got linoleum tiling in the bottom; what else should I seal it with? It will be a bioactive setup, so there will be a lot of weight and moisture in the bottom. Ideally this thing will be on casters.

I've got it showing three lamps and one CHE. Please advise if you think those are in the right spot and/or if I need more/fewer of them. The lighting will be internal, so knowing where to put the holes is good.. lol

Anyway... yes, feedback please! Be as brutal as you want, I want to do what's best for my little dude.

enclosure1.JPG enclosure2.JPG enclosure3.JPG enclosure4.JPG enclosure5.JPG

dwright27

5 Year Member
Oh, and I realize that the holes connecting each piece are probably way too big... I stopped being accurate at that point lol

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The linoleum would be for...Ease of cleaning?
Before you do any of that, I suggest you use a water sealer on the entire interior.
Redfoot require a lot of humidity as you are aware and once wood starts to rot or get moldy it is already too late.
I wish I had done so on some of my earlier attempts to make an enclosure. (None of them looked nearly as promising as this one.)

dwright27

5 Year Member
That's the plan, I just don't know what to have him seal it with. Recommendations for tort-safe sealant?

The linoleum would be an added moisture barrier. There will be lava rocks (or hydroballs) on top of that, and then organic topsoil mixed with coco coir, and hopefully some greenery on top of that.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
My last attempt was sealed with very thinned out Fiberglass resin applied like paint.
I'm sure that there are better and cheaper things to use. it's just that I have a lot of fiberglass nearby.

GRohr

Depending on how warm you keep your house, you may want more CHEs or a higher wattage one. If it were me I would use at least 2, and I would make sure that one of them is in the room that his sleeping hide is in so he stays warm at night. Other than that it looks neat and I am excited to see actual pictures when it is done!

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
Drylok for masonry has been working great for mine, and I know others here have used it with success. It also has the added bonus of sealing imperfections in the wood, nail and screw holes and small cracks in the wood and between pieces.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Alright everyone,
Here is what I have for my future build for my RF. However, after measuring the rooms I have, I will probably have to start smaller and work up to the 8x6. As it is right now, I might be able to fit 4x6 and it would be a bit tight. What I'd love is to install some track shelving on all of the walls in the house so I can clear floor space (we have a LOT of book cases...)

Anyway, I'd love to get some opinions before I send it off for a quote. The windows would be plexiglass; he doesn't seem comfortable working with glass, plus the risk of it breaking in transit.

The three pieces will be bolted together so that I can dismantle them if I need to. I've got linoleum tiling in the bottom; what else should I seal it with? It will be a bioactive setup, so there will be a lot of weight and moisture in the bottom. Ideally this thing will be on casters.

I've got it showing three lamps and one CHE. Please advise if you think those are in the right spot and/or if I need more/fewer of them. The lighting will be internal, so knowing where to put the holes is good.. lol

Anyway... yes, feedback please! Be as brutal as you want, I want to do what's best for my little dude.

View attachment 155473 View attachment 155474 View attachment 155475 View attachment 155476 View attachment 155477
I'm liking this. Modular enclosures that can be extended by adding another section in.
Are you going to start with 2off at 3x4ft?

What depth of substrate are you going to put in?

Last edited:

dwright27

5 Year Member
Depending on how warm you keep your house, you may want more CHEs or a higher wattage one. If it were me I would use at least 2, and I would make sure that one of them is in the room that his sleeping hide is in so he stays warm at night. Other than that it looks neat and I am excited to see actual pictures when it is done!

Thank you! I'm hoping to have the enclosure in its own room with an oil heater, like @Odin's Gma has done. But if that isn't possible, then yes, the CHEs would be necessary. Right now he has a CHE running all the time, day and night. I think it's too far away from him though (it's sitting on top of his tank) and I doubt it's very effective. Luckily there is a UTH on the back of the tank so he huddles up next to that sometimes.

It likely won't be completed for another year, but we'll see!

dwright27

5 Year Member
I'm liking this. Modular enclosures that can be extended by adding another section in.
Are you going to start with 2off at 3x4ft?

What depth of substrate are you going to put in?

Well, his current tank is 4x2, so I'd like to start with the larger sections if at all possible.

I might need to adjust the height of the front panels to accommodate the substrate. The lava rock alone is a couple of inches, then I need at least 6"-8" of the soil etc.

I've also realized that I need a sturdy hide for him. He keeps throwing his current ones around the tank and it's annoying lol.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Well, his current tank is 4x2, so I'd like to start with the larger sections if at all possible.

I might need to adjust the height of the front panels to accommodate the substrate. The lava rock alone is a couple of inches, then I need at least 6"-8" of the soil etc.

I've also realized that I need a sturdy hide for him. He keeps throwing his current ones around the tank and it's annoying lol.
Cool. I was thinking you won't need ramps between sections of enclosures. Just have a flat Rock over the joint, but substrate up to the level of the rock.
Also if you had a CHE in each enclosure on stats you could create different temperature zones.

dwright27

5 Year Member
Very true! Like I've said in the past.. I have no idea what I'm doing lol. This is why I'm hiring someone to do it for me. I'll just send him this thread and see what he comes up with lol.

dwright27

5 Year Member
So for the lights.. right now he has an MVB and a CHE. What would you all recommend for the lights in an enclosure like this? Should they all be MVB? Or just one, and then maybe a halogen in one and just UV in another? (along with the CHEs)

dwright27

5 Year Member
How big of a hole does an adult RF fit through? lol I'm re-doing some measurements and taking the substrate into account.

FenderStrat73

New York, NY
I'm thinking about having a similar 3 section corner enclosure made for my red footed tortoise. Have you figured out the best lighting setup for this layout?