Redfoot enclosure plans - please advise

Status
Not open for further replies.

artemiss

5 Year Member
Hi everyone, I am planning on building a new indoor enclosure for my adult Redfoot soon, and I drew up some rough plans this morning. Take a look and tell me what you think, criticism welcome. The plant light and CHE will be suspended above the pen of course, as would the 'fake vines'

Attachments

• pen_1.jpg
    pen_1.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 188

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Wow! Our budding Engineer forum member!! Or would that be "architect?"

I like it. What are the dimensions?

(Oh...and...where's the north arrow?)

lvstorts

10 Year Member!
Hi,
I've designed many a Redfoot pen both inside and outside and your design looks great. The only thing I would suggest is move the water to a more central place. In my experience, water in corners leads to extra messes. I've found more than one overturned in corner water dishes. I've also noticed if you have a shy one or one getting 'extra' attention from a male and the dish is in the corner, the tort may avoid it becaus it becomes a potential trap.

If it's an outdoor pen, will you be providing humidity or are you in an area that has natural humidity? I'm in an area with no humidity (seriously, if it was dryer I'd be in southern Arizona!) and have come up with some solutions that have worked well.

If I can help further, let me know.

artemiss

5 Year Member
It will be an indoor pen, Im devoting about half my tiny basement to it. Dimensions are approx. 6' x 10'. In terms of the water placement, she will be all by herself so no worries about makes sneaking up behind her :) I will see what I can do to move it to a more central spot. I decided to put that wall in the middle to give the illusion of more area to explore, rather than one big rectangle. This way she has different "rooms". I will see what the humidity is like once it is set up, I may have to cover half (or more ) with plastic to retain humidity. Thanks for the tips guys :)

Oh and by the way, I am no engineer or architect, just a computer repair tech. I used a program called Layout, its part of the Google Sketchup programs.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Walls that go nowhere are great visual barriers. I have some in my outdoor pens too.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
Instead of just a wall that goes nowhere why not make your own wall out of densely placed live/fake plants. It would look more naturalistic.

artemiss

5 Year Member
Having a wall made of plants would not work, no matter what, she would just bulldoze through them and trample everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.