Redfoot farms

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
Can anyone point me in the direction of some redfoot tortoise farms please. I'm not looking to buy anything, just curious what's out there.

Thanks.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Yeah I've seen and heard of a lot of vicki's torts some very nice torts.
I was thinking of bigger farms in South America. I think there's one in the state of Bahia but I can't for the life of me remember the name of it.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Sure the name of the farm in Bahia for carbonaria and denticulata was called 'Santa Rosa' but I can't find anything.
Does it ring any bells?

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Man, I remember that website, it was crazy the amounts of cherry head they had, including some albino ones. Santa something. I tried a search too, santa rita?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Man, I remember that website, it was crazy the amounts of cherry head they had, including some albino ones. Santa something. I tried a search too, santa rita?
Yeah that's it Allegra. Just looked and it looks as if they are out of business. Web page won't open. Thanks.

rmn813

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
Can anyone point me in the direction of some redfoot tortoise farms please. I'm not looking to buy anything, just curious what's out there.

Thanks.
I posted a similar question about red foot farms on another site. No responses. Not sure what the big mystery is with these farms.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I can talk with the guy I got Murphy from this weekend at the Repticon Reptile show. I know he was imported and @Anyfoot you told me he looks farm bred. Not sure if he'll want to give up his source but it's worth a try. I'll let you know.

rmn813

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
Thanks Todd. Any info would be appreciated. It's strange in this day and age that none of these South American "farms" have an online presence. I wonder if the whole farming thing is just a code for wild caught. That leads to the bigger question...How many Red Foots are being taken from the wild each year?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Thanks Todd. Any info would be appreciated. It's strange in this day and age that none of these South American "farms" have an online presence. I wonder if the whole farming thing is just a code for wild caught. That leads to the bigger question...How many Red Foots are being taken from the wild each year?
Few probably.
They are prolific breeders.
In tropical environments, babies just happen. No input required.
I had two just "show up" in the back yard pen.

rmn813

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
Sure hope your right, ZP. It would be a shame to see them go the way of the Radiated. It would be great if farms actually exist to take pressure off the wild capture. I've read that wildlife exports are largely unregulated in places like Guyana and Suriname. Some have suggested that there are thousands of wild Red Foot exports out of those countries every year.

rmn813

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
Hey Will, Good to connect with you on here. You sent me a very nice male Marginated recently. Thanks for the info on this farm. At least there's some evidence of these farms out there. Have you ever seen any numbers on how many wild caught RF's are exported yearly?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I had my dates wrong the reptile show is next weekend

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Hey Will, Good to connect with you on here. You sent me a very nice male Marginated recently. Thanks for the info on this farm. At least there's some evidence of these farms out there. Have you ever seen any numbers on how many wild caught RF's are exported yearly?

"Traffic" reports actual, and CITES reports how many 'may be' exported by country of source. Sometimes the numbers seem a little weird, like say 10,000 sulcatas from the US to China, but that is what some breeders here do.

https://www.cites.org/eng/resources/quotas/index.php

Traffic often only publishes in their news outsourcing illegal activity, but they record more, you have to reach out to them to get the data as I recall.

Glad we found each other here on TFO, this is the best resource going.

rmn813

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
Thanks Will. The CITES info wasn't as bad as I thought. It looks like Guyana and Suriname are the only countries that allow wild capture of RFs. Each country has an annual quota of 600-700 wild caught exports. Must still take a toll over time on the wild population.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Sure hope your right, ZP. It would be a shame to see them go the way of the Radiated. It would be great if farms actually exist to take pressure off the wild capture. I've read that wildlife exports are largely unregulated in places like Guyana and Suriname. Some have suggested that there are thousands of wild Red Foot exports out of those countries every year.
Redfoot are so saturated and common here that there would be no need to ever even think about poaching a wild one.
I no longer try to breed them because there are simply more babies than there are people that want them. (And can correctly care for them)
This, I'm sure is not the same with less prolific species.