Redfoot heating for cold climate and humidity- what’s best? What’s your dream set up?

DaphneV

Location (City and/or State)
CT
Hi everyone.
We have a 13 year old 7 lb redfoot we rescued last April. We built a custom enclosure ( 6ft x 4ft) for him he really only sleeps in it. He has an entire room to himself ( heat and humidity and sunlight all optimum) and also spends time outside with us weather permitting. We used ceramic heat bulbs for heat in the Spring. I am worried about fire risks. They had a funny hot smell which made me nervous.
If you could have absolutely any kind of heat/light/humidity set up, what would you design?

I want to make sure the cool weather set up is better than the one we had in the Spring. Thank you!

Attachments

• 78F0111D-BED7-4853-833D-3FE837CDA9B0.jpeg
    78F0111D-BED7-4853-833D-3FE837CDA9B0.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 7
  • C686A72C-C7C3-4C37-B864-693BD6B258A5.jpeg
    C686A72C-C7C3-4C37-B864-693BD6B258A5.jpeg
    407.3 KB · Views: 6
  • D3FAC4A9-4E87-45C8-95A4-D03D9FEA5FCE.jpeg
    D3FAC4A9-4E87-45C8-95A4-D03D9FEA5FCE.jpeg
    977.8 KB · Views: 6

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
che's do have an initial plasticy smell but after the first hour or two it should definitely not smell.

I wanted to try radiant heat panels but 80% of the top of my enclosure is door, so it wouldn't work well. Is one of them a mercury vapor bulb? I would suggest getting rid of the one that lights up and replace it with a tube/strip UV. I am assuming you have mesh between the lights and the tortoise, right? Mesh isnt great to keep humidity in so getting the lights to hang inside would be best. Also ensures all UV output will be on the tortoise and none will be lost when filtered through the screen.

Last edited:

DaphneV

CT
A CHE shouldn't have any smell

Could it be heating up the surrounding plastic? Or maybe they aren't mounted into suitable socket/holders?
Hi
I bought Flukers lamps that are supposedly made for ceramic lights.

DaphneV

CT
che's do have an initial plasticy smell but after the first hour or two it should definitely not smell.

I wanted to try radiant heat panels but 80% of the top of my enclosure is door, so it wouldn't work well. Is one of them a mercury vapor bulb? I would suggest getting rid of the one that lights up and replace it with a tube/strip UV. I am assuming you have mesh between the lights and the tortoise, right? Mesh isnt great to keep humidity in so getting the lights to hang inside would be best. Also ensures all UV output will be on the tortoise and none will be lost when filtered through the screen.
Hi
Yes the top is about 80% mesh. I have a basking light also That’s the one in the photo on the right of the enclosure. I have a UV strip light also. It’s not in the photos. Have you ever used any type of humidifier in the enclosure? A drip humidifier?

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Hi
Yes the top is about 80% mesh. I have a basking light also That’s the one in the photo on the right of the enclosure. I have a UV strip light also. It’s not in the photos. Have you ever used any type of humidifier in the enclosure? A drip humidifier?
I had a humidifier for a little bit but decided not to use it anymore as some say it causes respiratory infections. I have also had a sprinkler system in there which was more successful, but I think what helps the most is closing off the moisture in the enclosure. Can you cover the open mesh part with tin foil and see how your humidity improves?

Redfoots arent baskers and generally don't like bright light so I would suggest removing the basking light and just having the same temp throughout the enclosure - low 80's.

DaphneV

CT
I had a humidifier for a little bit but decided not to use it anymore as some say it causes respiratory infections. I have also had a sprinkler system in there which was more successful, but I think what helps the most is closing off the moisture in the enclosure. Can you cover the open mesh part with tin foil and see how your humidity improves?

Redfoots arent baskers and generally don't like bright light so I would suggest removing the basking light and just having the same temp throughout the enclosure - low 80's.
Thank you. I actually wondered about the basking light because I have heard both he doesn’t need it and he does. He doesn’t seem to hang out under it often. His enclosure is 84 degrees and humidity is 80%. The winter is the issue. I am going to try the tin foil to see if it helps. Thank you for the tip.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Thank you. I actually wondered about the basking light because I have heard both he doesn’t need it and he does. He doesn’t seem to hang out under it often. His enclosure is 84 degrees and humidity is 80%. The winter is the issue. I am going to try the tin foil to see if it helps. Thank you for the tip.

Yeah I mean most torts do enjoy basking but not this species. Mine pretty much avoids bright light all the time and sits in her hides. I am in the same boat for winter but I've had her for about 10 years and covering the enclosure did the trick to keep temp and humidity up all the time

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Yeah I mean most torts do enjoy basking but not this species. Mine pretty much avoids bright light all the time and sits in her hides. I am in the same boat for winter but I've had her for about 10 years and covering the enclosure did the trick to keep temp and humidity up all the time
Indeed. Covering/sealing most of the enclosure will trap humidity and warmth.
It's the best simplest answer to what can be otherwise very hard to accomplish