Redfoot Herd, M:F Ratios

MPRC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
Hello people of the internet (specifically the more experienced RF keepers here on TFO.)

I have had Redfoots for about a year now so I would still consider myself a novice, though I have 20 years of experience with other reptiles. Currently I have two redfoots, a mature male and an unsexed juvi who was "incubated female" but I am still on the fence about.

I am buying my first home and I have allotted about 20x40ft of my side yard for seasonal tortoise habitat. We have plans to build a heated shed to extend the outdoor season.

We have 2 more females lined up to come live with us and after a quarantine I am hoping to be able to have a herd together in my tortoise paradise. Would 2-3 females with one male be feasible? I don't want the females to be too badly pestered by my amorous male.

Also would it be better to put the male into the female's habitat or the females into the male's habitat?

Do you think 20x40 is enough space for 3-4? I plan on having it built up with a lot of visual barriers, hides and 2 soaking pools. I can allot a little more space, but I wanted to keep part of it set aside in case I needed to separate long term due to bullying or other disputes.

Thanks in advance, I'm hoping to start construction in April and have things smoothed out by the time the weather turns in September.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
3 females to one male is what i generally hear but they should still be allowed to get away from the males because most tortoise males are serial rapist

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
That is what I hear as well - but I am hoping someone with experience can chime in.

Turtlepete

South Florida
This completely depends on your male. My first breeding pair of redfoots was kept as a single pair for almost two years. The male wasn't a bother; while he procreated very well, he wasn't constantly harassing her and had no aggression towards her what-so-ever. In other pairs, as is true in any species of ANY reptile, you may get a particularly aggressive male.

This is another topic where unfortunately there really isn't a general answer, as its going to vary for each individual. Keep an eye on them and see how they do. If the male harasses the females too much, you may need to add more females. You might be just fine.