Redfoot inch/sq ft & other outdoor pen questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

dabayliss

5 Year Member
I have searched the forums and although I can see lots of 'artistic' pen design ideas (which I will use eventually) - I am looking for some very practicle 'engineering' style advice.

In a couple of months (DV) we'll be moving into a house (South Florida - humid/hot) and want to build a tortoise enclosure. Presently we have two redfoots (4&7 inches) - but the plan is to end up with a 'herd' - perhaps a dozen and maybe even a yellowfoot or two.

The house is 'L' shaped; the current plan is to build into the 'missing bit' of the L (so they can be seen from 4 of the rooms). That space is 40x20 and includes a small (3 ft high) hill. It has dappled shade from a number of trees.

I was thinking of a number of 'isolation' pens which were effectively wooden boxes then with an enclosed 'cage' area with wire around (bit like the zoomed pens) - to give the tortoises predator safety at night and keep sizes separated. Then have them fronting onto the 'main' compound which would be their bigger exercise area for when there are people around to supervise.

So - my practicle questions are:
a) Does any of this sound like the right way to do things?
b) How big a box/pen do you need for a given number/size of redfoots? Is there a rule of thumb like the old "gallon of water for an inch of fish"

BTW: I know the standard answer is 'give them as much space as you can' - and I will have an acre and if that is really good for them - then I'm ok with that - but obviously the larger the area the harder it is for me to secure it and supervise ...

Sorry to ask the long & detailed by newbie questions - but I would like to try to get this one right ....

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SW Forida
We kept our redfoots in an area that was 69x50 with lots of bushes for shade. They grazed at will and took shade in the heat of the day. This worked well for us, Florida has alot of natural vegitation, like crab grass and dollar weeds. Irrigation system kept the area always geen and lush. Sounds like you have plenty of room and the will to make it the best you can. Best.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I try and follow the square foot of space for every square inch of tortoise.

luke

5 Year Member
SoCal
LOL, if only I had that much space.

I like your Idea, separate them by sizes, at night, but have a nice big comunity area for them to explore. Whatever you do, Be sure to throw up some pics of your set up when its done and be sure to include the TORTS too!

Status
Not open for further replies.