Redfoot not moving around much

helosoldier66

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Alabama
I have had these 3 adult Female Redfoot for a couple months now and have built a large outdoor enclosure. I have no idea were they came from or how they were raised they came free from out of business pet shop. I put them outside everyday the temps are above 70 F. and so far I have only left them out overnight once. Temps here are fluctuating a lot but it was over 80 F. this last weekend. Once they are put out the almost immediately go to a certain spot under the same plants and stay until I take them in again. I have only seen 1 walking around one time. They don't seem to eat anything in the enclosure which is full of edible plants but will eat like pigs once rehoused indoors. I also have 2 Russians (obtained the same way) which are completely opposite always moving and walking around and eating plants. Do anyone else's redfoot act like this?

helosoldier66

5 Year Member
Southern Alabama
80 degrees is too low outdoors in the sun? They are housed separately, not sure the Redfoot would even notice a Russian if it was in the same enclosure.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
80 degrees is too low outdoors in the sun? They are housed separately, not sure the Redfoot would even notice a Russian if it was in the same enclosure.
Looking at the 70 you posted not the obvious warm 80.
As for a RF not noticing a Russian, well it's the other way around that would be more the concern. Russians are tuff little scrappers.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I'm no expert, but sounds like they are not comfortable outside for some reason. Could it be something spooking them out there? Like a neighboring dog barking or anything?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I was thinking along the same lines at Toddrickfl1. If I'm not mistaken, the RF tortoise comes from a pretty overgrown area. You've taken them out of their safe indoor habitat and plunked them down in the wide open spaces. It only seems natural for them to seek out the protection of the bush.

Bee62

Germany
I totally agree with Yvonne G.
Redfoot tortoises are a specie that live in tropical forest and overgrown habitats.
It is their natural instinct to hide themselves. My own two redfoots do the same, even in their indoor enclosure.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
My Redfoot lived in the same, established pen for years and spent most of the day hiding or floating in the water.
Mine DO/DID not like full sunlight. And during the brightest part of the day would stay in the shade.
Make sure you have lots of shade.
Feeding time and rainstorms get them moving around.
Otherwise, they're kinda lazy.