Redfoot Safe Indoor Plants-Where to buy?

crabby-J

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Hi everyone! I've been wanting to add some safe plants to add to my redfoot enclosure, I've been reading the forum like crazy but most suggestions for plants seem more for large outdoors enclosures etc. I have baby redfoots and they stay indoors and want to add some safe live plants for shade within the enclosure.

I am having a very hard time finding any plants in my area, all home depots, lowes, garden centers have mostly large tropical plants and succulents and all use fertilizers.

Is there any websites online that sell already started tropical plants that would be safe for redfoots? I have sprouting grass in the enclosure now that is all. I keep seeing so much conflicting info on plants I don't want to buy anything toxic for them.

I was interested in a prayer plant, spider plant (are they all safe? I've heard some are not) and was looking for other plant suggestions other than seeds (I cannot grow seeds for the life of me) and online places that may sell them!

Thanks!

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Is your enclosure open or closed?
Are you wanting edible only plants?

Spider plants are easy to grow and safe.

crabby-J

Michigan
The enclosure is closed, I ordered some baby spider plants and a prayer plant for now to see how those will do :)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
how did it go? where did you purchase from?
This is an ancient thread.
For Redfoot I use SPIDER PLANTS or LYRIOPI from Lowes or the Home Depot. I remove the soil and re plant them in new soil. They provide nice shade, sleeping spots and help with humidity.
Redfoot don't seem to nibble on these and the new plant growth is relatively safe in case they do.

EllisEditz

Manchester
This is an ancient thread.
For Redfoot I use SPIDER PLANTS or LYRIOPI from Lowes or the Home Depot. I remove the soil and re plant them in new soil. They provide nice shade, sleeping spots and help with humidity.
Redfoot don't seem to nibble on these and the new plant growth is relatively safe in case they do.
thankyou so much for your response, once repotted am i good to go or do i have to wait 12months?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
thankyou so much for your response, once repotted am i good to go or do i have to wait 12months?
I use them right away. But that's only because I've never had any of the dozens (hundreds) of Redfoot I've kept try to eat these type of plants.
Otherwise I'd lean towards waiting for all new growth.

EllisEditz

Manchester
I use them right away. But that's only because I've never had any of the dozens (hundreds) of Redfoot I've kept try to eat these type of plants.
Otherwise I'd lean towards waiting for all new growth.
hmm okay i guess ill try it out then if my guy tries to eat ill remove and wait