Redfoot substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

cristal redfoot

5 Year Member
Hey guys I was thinking about updating my baby RF enclosure. He is 3 inches and is being kept in a 3 by 2 part of a bookcase that is 3 by 6 entirely. anyways what substrates or mixes do you keep your babies in. at the moment I have him on cypress mulch but I want something to hold more moisture for him.

mightymizz

5 Year Member
You will get lots of opinions. There is no "right" way to do it.

I personally use Mosser Lee (brand) Sphagnum moss which I lightly dampen every day. I have a CHE to provide heat which will use this moisture to help create humidity. The key here is you need to cover a large majority of your enclosure so the humidity doesn't escape. The other key is the infamous, "how wet" to get the substrate. If you get it too wet, then plastron rot, etc. can form.

Some people use the waterproof heat ropes at bottom of substrate and add water, but once again, you pretty much need to keep it covered unless you live in a fairly humid place.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
I don't have a redfoot right now, but I have box turtles. I also use sphagnum moss as substrate. I use New Zealand spahgnum moss though, and I dampen it every day.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I've used cypress mulch, topsoil, and coconut coir. The only one I didn't particularly care for was the cocnut coir because it made a mess of things and remained a bit too damp for my liking, but others love it.

I'm now going to give hemlock mulch a try since cypress mulch is not available where I currently live. I like the mulches, just be sure they're free of dyes. Cypress and hardwood mulches are your best bet - orchid bark can work too but is a bit more pricey - I'm not a fan of the sphagnum moss because I can't seem to keep it "damp" and plastron rot gets the better of my torts.

redfoot7

5 Year Member
PA
I'm in a similar situation. I've used coconut coir for the past 4 months, since I've had my redfoot. This has worked great at keeping the humidity up, but it was a hatchling and being kept in a 28" x 2' sweater box. Now that he's not quite as fragile, I'm getting ready to move him into a 4' x 2' enclosure and I don't know if I'll use coconut coir again. Like Redstrike said, it makes a mess. It sticks to everything and gets everywhere. I'm going to take a trip to Lowes and see if they have an organic top soil. I'm going to try that with clumps of damp sphagnum moss in the one hide, and some randomly placed in the enclosure.

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
I use good ole cheap Cypress mulch. Tried mosser Lee spagnum, and while it smelled nice, it was expensive and got wet way too easily. I can pick up 2 cu ft of cypress at my home depot for 3.15, which covers my entire 3x5 cage.

yellowfoot

5 Year Member
Illinois
I use cypress mulch for my yellowfoots. I used to use bed a beast but it sticks to everything.

cristal redfoot

5 Year Member
Thanks for all your input :D I absolutely adore this forum. I think maybe I am going to go for the sphagnom moss in some places and some soil. Any reccomendations for soil? Also was thinking about keeping a layet of cypress mulch above the soil.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Layering- sounds great in theory, but makes it hard to stir the soils, and the torts will just compact everything into a mass anyway.

Soil- anything 'clean'- no chemicals, poultry wastes, odd scents, etc. I like plain, cheapo 'topsoil'.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Madkins007 said:
Layering- sounds great in theory, but makes it hard to stir the soils, and the torts will just compact everything into a mass anyway.

I tried the layering method and had a similar experience. I usually turnover the substrate at least once a week to aerate and keep anaerobic bacteria down. You can't do this if you layer and the torts really just end up mixing the layers anyway.

cristal redfoot

5 Year Member
Oohhh... Okay I see now. Well I really do want to grow plants in his enclosure but I dont want the mess.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
cristal redfoot said:
Oohhh... Okay I see now. Well I really do want to grow plants in his enclosure but I dont want the mess.

You can place them in pots and bury the pot 1/2 way into the substrate? This has worked for me. If you put them at ground level, your tort will trample and eat it - fine if that's what you're looking for!

Be sure the potting soil you use does not have perlite in it (spongy, white rock things) as your tortoise might be interested in eating and running the risk of impaction. Same goes for the soil you use for the enclosure. I find most Top soils intended for outdoor use do not have perlite in them, though some do...

mightymizz

5 Year Member
One of my problems with soil is that oftentimes there are bugs in it. Some people don't mind this, others do, just fyi!

Let us know what you end up deciding!

cristal redfoot

5 Year Member
Eepp so many ways. I do like the cypress mulch but I cant keep it damp as often but do you guys think with the humidifier I'm getting next week will solve the humidity issue?
Redstrike: I really like the idea of keeping the plants in the pots! I hadn't really thought about it that way but that's what this forum is for.
I really appreciate all the answers.

I do keep him in my room so I don't want the bugs hehe.

jlb1077

5 Year Member
I currently have Repti Bark for my enclosure & a container with moss to keep up the humidity. Have tried several different kinds and this seems to work the best for us. Also easy to maintain!

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
jlb1077 said:
I currently have Repti Bark for my enclosure & a container with moss to keep up the humidity. Have tried several different kinds and this seems to work the best for us. Also easy to maintain!

I use reptibark too! But I'm always spraying it to create humidity. I struggle to get it to 70% so I'm looking at all these ideas in this post. Sphagnum moss as well seems a great idea ;)

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Some things to think about with humidity.

One trick when using cypress or similar mulches is to use a THICK layer of it (4" minimum after the tortoises tramp it down), and keep the bottom inch or so very wet. The chunky mulches will not wick this up, so you get a dry top layer, but the water is turning to vapor and rising up to become humidity. Adding some sort of waterproof heater to the bottom speeds the process up.

Also- the more covered your habitat is, and the larger the volume of air trapped, the better- anything under about 75% covers really is not helping. It keeps the warm, humid air in place, and the large space helps keep the air fresher. Ideally your lights and heaters are INSIDE the enclosed space.

Humidifiers are great, but must be scaled to the size of the space. Too much cool mist will chill the habitat and may contribute to respiratory issues.

Hustler

5 Year Member
Alberta Canada Eh
I have to do a huge substrate switch as well here soon, right now i use peat and reptibark and it works very well.... but im well over 100 square feet now so the cost is insane. there is no bulk cypress up here where i am and just peatmoss is way too messy for me so I am looking for alternatives that fit my market.

jlittlefield

5 Year Member
Redstrike said:
I've used cypress mulch, topsoil, and coconut coir. The only one I didn't particularly care for was the cocnut coir because it made a mess of things and remained a bit too damp for my liking, but others love it.

I'm now going to give hemlock mulch a try since cypress mulch is not available where I currently live. I like the mulches, just be sure they're free of dyes. Cypress and hardwood mulches are your best bet - orchid bark can work too but is a bit more pricey - I'm not a fan of the sphagnum moss because I can't seem to keep it "damp" and plastron rot gets the better of my torts.

I agree on the coconut sub straight. Nightmare!!

Status
Not open for further replies.