Redfoot tortoise aquarium

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Blackburn, U.K.
Redfoot tortoise aquarium

My redfoot tortoise is currently in a table but he is getting bigger now and it is very hard to keep in humidity evern with a clear cover over 3/4 of the table i was thinking an aquarium i not a Viv but an aquarium??...
Yes or no.....i think it would be better with a screen lid............do not discriminate me !
which gallon would be appropriate for a 6 inch redfoot!

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
RE: Redfoot tortoise aquarium

Hey bud. if your tort table is pretty big and you little guys really likes that. i wouldnt switch. i would just find a way to raise humidity in that enclosure. Instead of spending money on an aquarium, why dont you try an fogger or humidifier. and if that doesnt get you where you want the humidity to be cover a little more with plexiglass until you get it where you want. Just a thought.

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
I replyed to your other thread that has the same title. no need to keep making a new thread with the same stuff in it. Give others sometime and they will reply on your Topic.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts

I would also leave him in the table find a way to make it work like sulcatasquirt said he is only going to get bigger if you were to get an aquarium I wouldnt get any thing smaller than a 100g . also there is no need to post three threads on the same thing

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
I personally don't like to keep torts in anything glass wise, a table will keep the humidity if the correct substrate is used, or you could just mist them several times a day.

I had two adult red foots at work, I had them in a large rabbit cage with a mixture of top soil/sand. They had a large bathing area and it was easy to keep the humidity, when the earth was dry I would pur some water in,wait 5/10 mins then turn the soil so it's all mixed in.

This is in no way gospel, it is my way and my opinion, but I do not own a red foot.

There are members that do have redfoots outside.
They are probably the best to advise you.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada

I have read that as long as you have a couple of places for a micro climate-mine for example are two small garbabe (rubbish;))bins with some wet peat moss and spagnum moss in so they can choose to go in there for extra moisture that will be ok.
Tortoise tables are always better for space and the glass can be cold and lacking in circulation too for torts.

I use a watering can and soak the whole table once a day and the humidity is staying up now with that.
I soak the torts too once a week and spray their hides extra when I can.
You are in the UK too so should be easier for you having a more humid environment than it is here-we are really dry.

Hope that helps, sounds like you are doing great and very concerned for your tortoise:D

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Replied to your other thread-North America being on a different time zone has probably been slow whilst lots of us are sleeping.

HarleyK

5 Year Member
I am using a rubbermaid tub right now and it works great. Humidity is ok for me, but when winter comes and if it gets drier I'll be cutting the lid in half. It' works well because half of the lid will snap into place, hold humidity and it still looks neat.

Status
Not open for further replies.