1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!
Dismiss Notice
We are aware of current issues with the Tortoise Forum mobile app. We are working diligently to have the app updated to support all mobile devices again. As always, donations are greatly appreciated!

Redfoot Tortoise digs holes 8 days in a row and not laying eggs

Discussion in 'Tortoise Breeding' started by LRTortoises, Oct 9, 2017.

1. LRTortoises

LRTortoises Active Member 5 Year Member

She is one of my redfoots that has laid great for me the last two years with no problem.

The last 8 days she has dug a hold almost every night and then not laid any eggs. Usually just falling asleep over the hole and not filling it up.

She has many great places to lay in great soil with cypress on top.

I watched her tonight. I feel like she dug a good hold and then just stopped. There wasn't much mucous coming out. I have been doing warm soaks each day for about 30 minutes.

Any suggestions? Trying to decide if I should just be patient or go to a vet. I should add she is still eatinng, drinking and has used the bathroom.
  2. wellington

wellington Well-Known Member Moderator 5 Year Member

(These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    @allegraf might be able too help.
  3. allegraf

allegraf Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

The only thing I would consider is separating her so she can dig in peace. Keep soaking her, but I would worry she may be having a problem. Vet visit in a few days. Usually, mine dig dummy holes and don't bother filling them back in. @cdmay may have more insight.
  4. LRTortoises

She is not filling any back in. I have her separated also. I am doing a soak in the morning and a soak at lunch. She usually digs about 6pm
  5. cdmay

cdmay Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Sounds like she's not liking the nesting sites. Or is simply not ready to drop.
    Agree with Allegra regarding keeping her alone.
    Question: How deep is she able to dig?
  6. LRTortoises

I have let her try multiple locations. She has dug very deep holes each time. Definitely as deep as holes from past years. I am keeping up with the twice-a-day soaks. If I have no eggs by next week I may take her into the Vet
  7. zovick

zovick Well-Known Member

In my opinion, she should be radiographed soon to see if she actually has eggs present. She is expending large amounts of energy digging those nests and if she gets too tired out and simply stops trying, she may become egg-bound. In fact, there may already be a problem if she has dug 8 times and not laid yet.
  8. zovick

zovick Well-Known Member

@LRTortoises

Any updates on this nesting phenomenon? Did you have the tortoise radiographed and if so, were there eggs present?
  9. LRTortoises

The reptile vet in town has me in Wednesday. I'll post a pic of the radiograph then. Tough to find a reptile vet in Little Rock but she used to be the little rock zoo reptile vet and has helped me before. She has dug a hole once more since then.
  10. zovick

zovick Well-Known Member

I hope all goes well. Assuming normally calcified eggs are present, it will be interesting to see if the vet recommends giving the tortoise oxytocin. Maybe this tortoise has a double egg like your Leopard and is having trouble getting it to pass. That would be a really strange coincidence.