Redfoot Tortoise Eating Dandelions Growing Outside.?

EllisEditz

Location (City and/or State)
Manchester
what is yall opinions on feeding dandelions found growing outside as its getting warm now they are growing everywhere and i was thinking of picking a few washing them and feeding them to my RF, i havent proceeded to do it yet as ino there could be all sorts of things on them plants, but what if i was to pickj them from descreet places where i think they are clean, no dog walkers ect..??

PS - i would purchase dandelion from store for the tortoise but i struggle to find them in the uk :(

Attachments

• dandelions.jpg
    dandelions.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 1

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
what is yall opinions on feeding dandelions found growing outside as its getting warm now they are growing everywhere and i was thinking of picking a few washing them and feeding them to my RF, i havent proceeded to do it yet as ino there could be all sorts of things on them plants, but what if i was to pickj them from descreet places where i think they are clean, no dog walkers ect..??

PS - i would purchase dandelion from store for the tortoise but i struggle to find them in the uk :(
I think it's great to get wild dandelions! All of my tortoises' foods are wild plants. Just make sure there are no pesticides but other than that it's fine and great for the tortoise and for the keeper.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster

Everyone does it around here after checking out the source 🤗 no pesticides etc... it's free very good food for a little tort 🤗

EllisEditz

Manchester
Everyone does it around here after checking out the source 🤗 no pesticides etc... it's free very good food for a little tort 🤗
is there any ways to avoid dandelions with pestides, would i pick them from locations nobody has came/walked by

EllisEditz

Manchester
I think it's great to get wild dandelions! All of my tortoises' foods are wild plants. Just make sure there are no pesticides but other than that it's fine and great for the tortoise and for the keeper.
is there any ways to avoid dandelions with pestides, would i pick them from locations nobody has came/walked by

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Don't pick them right beside a street or unknown yard etc. I have so many in my yard I don't really think about it. I don't use pesticides or weed killers so I know they are as safe as they can be. Most people are trying to snuff out dandelions. The dang dandelion killers. Another good weed is plantains 🤗 My neighbors probably think I'm crazy because they are a welcome part of my flower beds 😅

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
I would avoid any from developed areas or near public places or other people's yards. I think parks or untouched areas are good.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Don't pick them in areas that are likely to have been sprayed like parks, apartment complexes, or manicured lawns. Look for wilder areas. Another indictor is to look for insects or signs of insects near by. Ants, spiders, aphids, caterpillars, spider webs, holes in the leaves from bugs eating them, etc...

You can also soak freshly collected greens in a bucket of cold water to help wash off any pollutants of any kind.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
If you know your neighbors, you can ask if they spray & if they don't, tell them you'll be by to pick some. Little kids usually love to pick dandelions for your tort.