Redfoot tortoise enclosure setup/care:

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtlelover2495

5 Year Member
I have here a video of my new redfoot tortoise i bought yesterday, he is just a juvenile =D:tort:
Coco the redfoot tortoise

Enclosure setup:(with links below to the product)
Grounding:Loose coconut fiber
Lighting/Heating: a long purple floruscent uvb light, 150W infrared bulb
Tortoise tablets:Flukers tortoise diet
Hay: alfalfa

How i been caring for him:
i been misting 3 times starting today. because the pet store said to mist my tortoise 2-3 times a day.

and i fed spring mix and tomatoes yesterday. And then today i fed it just spring mix. And tommorow im feeding it baby carrots mixed with springmix. and so on i got a whole diet list for it. But yes i know i can feed it bananas and tomatoes for fruit occasionally. When i bought him from the store yesterday he was eatting his leafy greens with tomatoes so i figured i would let him finish eatting some more at my house.

But im thinking of feeding it cuttler or cutter bone or however you say it.
and the pet store never told me. do i need calcium supplement spray or whatever? or can he get away with a cuttler bone and hit regular diet weekly food.

The tablets i have in a seperate dish. i also was wondering do i put the pellets in with the food instead of a seperate dish?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
The only two questions i have is what should the humidity be for him in the tank and what should his heat lamp temp be?

i was also thinking for summer to buy a cage or setup a safe surrounding outside so it can get outside and get natural light for about 30mins to an hour or more.

This is my first tortoise and i want this tortoise to be taken care of successfully! i love my animals
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But i really like him. He isnt used to me because im new to him but he isnt extremely afraid of me. But he didnt like my friend because he is really tall and im small. my friend looked over the tank and the tortoise was out half of its hideout and when my friend looked at him he got scared and turned around and went to the other side of his hideout. and then my friend went over to the otherside and he turned around and went to the middle and kind of burrowed himself into the ground.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
OK, you are obviously in love with your tortoise, but you are making a lot of comments that merit some discussion above and beyond your actual questions.

First off- what pet shop guys tell you is not always the best. Few pet shop staff are experts in every species they sell.

Next, to answer your actual questions-
- Temp- overall about 82-85F, with a cooler area and an area that can be a bit warmer, usually right under the heating lamp.
- Humidity- if your overall humidity is about 40-60% with some areas, like under plants or in the hide at about 90% or so, things will be OK.

I would love to discuss the diet, misting, and other elements, but I have to get going in a few minutes. You can try the articles in the Tortoise Library linked below to get some other ideas that may help.

Status
Not open for further replies.