RedFoot Tortoise Hatchling Died

gkoprevich

Location (City and/or State)
Newark, DE
Hello,
I am absolutely devastated to make this post. After several months of researching Redfoot tortoises, I decided to get a hatchling. The second Tortellini arrived he wasn't the most active little thing, he wasn't interested in any of the food I had to offer except the occasional piece of cherry tomato, and usually only opened his eyes after his daily soak or if I hadn't interacted with him for a day or two. At first I was concerned because he wouldn't open his eyes often, so I more carefully regulated his water intake and how warm he was. I also was concerned by his underneath of his shell from day one, as the lower area was a bit caved in and had a dark brown middle. It didn't look like the shell rot I saw online and his bedding was definitely not very damp. He had a wooden enclosure with Cypress bedding and Sphagnum moss. He had a water dish, a soaking dish, and two areas I set out food. He had a 75 watt UV lamp and I used a spray bottle to moisten the bedding once or twice a day as needed. He also had a small cave and one side of his enclosure was shaded if he got too warm. Like I said before, he never really had an appetite, but every day he had access to his feed, kale, lettuce, and I also bought him Healthy Herp instant meal with hopes that he would like at least one type of the food. Every afternoon I encouraged him to eat and tried to gently hand feed him with no success. Despite all of this, he loved to crawl around my bed and adored being pet on the top of his head. He spent the days that were 85+ degrees outside on my balcony in a plastic bin with shade and water.
A week and a half-2 weeks ago I noticed he didn't reach his head out towards me if I held him, and wasn't moving around his box that I could notice. I also noticed no matter what he wouldn't lift his head out far at all, and wasn't interested in any kind of food. I usually soaked him every day or every other day for around 15 minutes in warm water, but after made sure it was at least once a day and he would pee and poop when I soaked him. After I always changed the water so it was clean to drink. I thought maybe he was just extra sleepy, as I know hatchlings require a lot of sleep, and was worried he wasn't warm enough so I got a second UVB lamp and bought carrot baby food to soak him. He still continued to poop once or twice a day despite the fact that I am almost certain he hadn't eaten in at least two weeks. I soaked him twice in the course of 3 days in the carrot juice+water, and only those two times did he open his eyes and seem to drink a little. The last two days I noticed if I moved him he would snap his mouth at me, and I couldn't tell if it was me bothering him, or if he was maybe struggling to breathe. His shell looked a bit more concave than before. Every night I made sure he was close to his water and in a warm area, but he never seemed to move on his own. This morning I woke up and his entire being seemed sunken in. His underneath of his shell was very uneven and his eyes black and sunken.
I am heartbroken and feel like a failure as a first time owner. I felt as an animal science major and doing plenty of research I would be more than fine. If anything I felt like I watched him too much and overanalyzed his behavior, but now I am not sure. I am wondering if I did something wrong, or could have done more to save him. I absolutely adored the little baby. The photo I attached in his sombrero (only for the picture as I was afraid it would somehow hinder shell growth) is when he was healthiest, the second two are the last two days he was alive.59097208630__D191FA6A-621E-469B-AB8B-0E99728EE6B2.JPG 300D6F8B-8461-4AA3-8254-FA052C8B1557.JPG IMG_2369.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He was a beautiful little tortoise. May I ask who you bought him from? He should have been bright-eyed and alert right out of the box, and if that's not the case, then they sent you a sick little baby.

gkoprevich

Newark, DE
He was a beautiful little tortoise. May I ask who you bought him from? He should have been bright-eyed and alert right out of the box, and if that's not the case, then they sent you a sick little baby.
I bought him from TortoiseTown.com. He definitely was not bright eyed like I have heard described on here before.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I bought him from TortoiseTown.com. He definitely was not bright eyed like I have heard described on here before.
They have a couple of bad reviews in our Vendor Review section, however, they also have some good reviews.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Do not blame yourself! I think it is obvious that he was sick when you got him. You did everything you could and should. Sorry he did not make it, but next time you will check to make sure you get a healthy baby!

DJ Kirk

Guelph, Ontario, Canada
You should contact the place you got him from. The breeder I got mine from guaranteed 1 year money back or a new tortoise if death occurred. If they want to stay reputable they should work with you on this.

JLMDVM

Ohio
So sorry for your loss. It seems like you were certainly trying to help the little one make it.