Redfoot Tortoise Hatchling Diet/Feeding schedule

Nopal_29

Location (City and/or State)
Lawndale
Hi everyone, I have a three month old tortoise hatchling about to turn four months named Nopal. I just wanted some advice and possible suggestions of what I could do differently or what I am doing right, thank you in advance!

I have him on a schedule where I soak him, for thirty minutes and after he is fed.
I only feed him two meal worms 1x every week
Every day he. gets chard, arugula, endives, oak leaves and spring mix
A tiny sprinkle of calcium with D3 is mixed with leaves 1-2 times a week.
I also feed him two types of different fruits every day and I rotate between papaya, mango, blueberries, rasberries, watermelon and strawberries.
He gets a rotation of zucchini, squash or carrots everyday.
I mix tortoise pellets in food 2x a week
I want to provide him with hibiscus leaves and more weeds but I was unsure of where I could buy them as I am very nervous about the issue with pesticides?

4C1B1A8F-8A0B-4469-B7CB-98C14A6AB1DE_1_105_c.jpeg

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome
@ZEROPILOT is the man to help you with RF, I've tagged him so when he sees it he'll be along.
If you post pics of his enclosure and lamps you use you'll get good feedback.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hello.
Welcome.
The first thing I'd like to warn you about is that moss substrate. I know why it's there
It's great at holding in moisture. But I suggest using fine Orchid bark. Wet it the same way. It will also give off humidity as the water evaporates and it has a far less risk of being eaten and causing issues.
As for Oak leaves. I can't say if that's a good idea or not. But Oak doesn't grow where these tortoises are from. To the best of my knowledge.
Everything else on that foods list seems ok. You can mix things up a bit more to incorporate many if the hundreds of items you should be able to find locally to feed.
You can also offer a bit of protein and you can up the ratio of fruits per greens.