Redfoot walking weird?

tyguy35

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ontario
Hey, so my redfoot male has been having really bad smelling light brown poops almost a light tan colour which is also really soft. Since last night he been sitting under the heat lamp when I put food in its almost like he tried to get up then failed tried again faile and just dragged himself there. He ate a bit but I took him out to soak which is where he is sitting right now. I don't know if this will help but he is sitting in the water with his penis halfway out not doing anything

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Bad smelling poop can be parasites,plus the lethargy, and all day water soaking all seem to add up to parasites. The penis thing is weird.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
Thing is he was never lethargic till today even today he's still not that lethargic. He wot tuck his penis back in it weird he's out now and sitting by the food with it out. He's trying to stand up but he's shaking his whole body shakes when he stands?

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Weakness,trembling, it sounds bad,I still think parasites,but I would suggest a vet visit ASAP,it just does not sound good to me.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
Ya I think we are going to need a vet trip

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Remember tortoises being wild animals still,will hide or try to hide a illness for a long time.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
Ya I hope I can fix this. He lives with 3 other females and they have been fine no soft poop they eat way to much since day one he's had softer poop which I was hoping was the other owners diet so I tried hay and more fibre but did work

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Just tobe on the safe side,I would quarantine him, for his and their own good. Better safe than sorry, here is hoping for good news.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
The weird part is he won't put his penis away. Just sitting with it out.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
The sitting with his penis out gives me some hope it is irritated and may not be anything worse, for now let him soak in the bowl so it does not dry out and then require (shudder) amputation.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
Poop sometimes comes out with it but in going to sit for atleast am hour in hopes he puts it back in. Oh god I don't want that

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
What happens if he won't put it back. It's covered in dirt and won't come off with the soak.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
@ascott, good call I was more concerned about the weakness and trembling, I did not consider it might be swollen,I would try the sugar trick now and see what happens. If it is just swollen then it should retract on it's own.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
So basically I flip him on his back pour suar all over the area and wait a bit wipe it off try again

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
No need to flip ,coat it in sugar,or soak him in sugar water, the sugar is a natural desiccant, and should work, I had a soft shell many yearss ago with a prolapse and they used sugar to draw the moisture out,it should reduce any swelling and allow him to retract.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
It's like he's in pain he holds his breath then let's go