Redfoot weird white mucous stool

dzzxmm1919

Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
Hello tortoise lovers! I just found my 2 yr old redfoot pooped weird white-yellow mucous thingy on his substrate. Here is the photo of it-
EC269E31-962C-40FE-976A-A59DB8270B0A.jpeg

He refuse to eat for a month, so I syringe feed him every day of 0.5ml critical care. I also soak him every day to keep him hydrated. I use CHE and MVB for UVB. Temp won't drop under 77F during night time.

Please let me know what do I need to do to help him recover 🙈

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hello tortoise lovers! I just found my 2 yr old redfoot pooped weird white-yellow mucous thingy on his substrate. Here is the photo of it-
View attachment 343733

He refuse to eat for a month, so I syringe feed him every day of 0.5ml critical care. I also soak him every day to keep him hydrated. I use CHE and MVB for UVB. Temp won't drop under 77F during night time.

Please let me know what do I need to do to help him recover 🙈
I hope someone with more knowledge than I will soon offer advice here.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Im guessing urates. Pretty normal for urates to occur.

Do you soak your tortoise often & provide water & appropriate foods?

Urate: A salt derived from uric acid. When the body cannot metabolize uric acid properly, urates can build up in body tissues or crystallize within the joints. The normal feces of a tortoise consists of fecal substance. This usually arrives as an odiferous formed mass consisting of the end products of digestion.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Could it be urates?
I'll tag @ZEROPILOT and @Tom and @Yvonne.
If you post pics of his enclosure we can see if there's anything affecting his behaviour and lack of appetite.

dzzxmm1919

Ohio
Im guessing urates. Pretty normal for urates to occur.

Do you soak your tortoise often & provide water & appropriate foods?

Urate: A salt derived from uric acid. When the body cannot metabolize uric acid properly, urates can build up in body tissues or crystallize within the joints. The normal feces of a tortoise consists of fecal substance. This usually arrives as an odiferous formed mass consisting of the end products of digestion.

Hello Maro,
Thank you for the link- I'm not sure if the white stool is urate because it doesn't feel like creamy, it feels like boiled egg white somehow whippy and covered by clear mucous. I'm guessing it might be intestinal mucosa?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The white stuff is urates.

The temperature for a RF should not drop below 82 day or night. 82-86 all the time. 77 is too cool. This might be a contributing factor to the loss of appetite. Is the tort in a closed chamber, or open topped enclosure?

I wouldn't use coco chips for substrate for any tortoise. Impaction is possible and likely. Fine grade orchid bark works best.