redfoot wiggles when scratched...

prettypixilated

5 Year Member
Hello,
Not sure where this would be best posted. I saw a few older forum questions about this topic, but nothing yet that i can currently post to.

I have a little redfoot, about 2.5 years old. I'm guessing that Oliver is a male. About a month ago, I got some tortoise shell lotion from my local exotic pet location. He seems to love getting this lotion once a week. A couple weeks ago, whenever I applied it, he would start to wiggle when I got to the rear area of his plastron. I thought this was maybe shaking me off, so I applied the lotion then stopped. Recently though, if he is getting a head scratch, he will walk under my hand until I can touch the rear scales, and seems to rub into my hand and wiggle around. It is the funniest thing! He seems to like it, but I want to make sure I'm not accidentally making him upset.
Thanks!

Geochelone_Carbonaria

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern part of Sweden
All tortoises are very sensitive on/in their carapace and plastron, as they have neural pathways running through them. Their carapace is actually an
an extension of the spine and their plastron is an extension of the ribs !

gustaf

5 Year Member
I have a couple torts that do that too. Funny stuff but i havent quite figured out if they like it or if it annoys them.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Mine come to me in the summer when they roam outside for scratching & rubs & will rub/scratch their back carapace against chairs or potted plants for a shell rub :)

ladyvalkyrie

Location (City and/or State)
Fort Sill, Oklahoma
I noticed Deryn enjoys a good "butt scratch". She also loves being loosely wrapped in cozy things and snuggling stuffed animals. From what I can tell, they have the same reaction to those things as most humans: pleasure.