Redfooted Tortoise eating bunny poop

Location (City and/or State)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
We got a dwarf bunny a few weeks ago, and I just noticed that she eats the olittle bunny droppings. Every day, we take the bunny out of her cage for her to be free for a few hours in the morning, and then for a couple more hours in the evening, to stretch her legs and take some sun, and, of course, she poops!

Is it ok that the tortoise eats her poop? The bunny eats mostly hay, hibiscus flowers and leaves, bunny pellets, some vegetables and greens.

I am almost sure it's ok, but I'd like to confirm, just in case.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The bunny should not be in the same area as the tortoise.
Of course wild rabbits will likely poop in your tortoise area. The difference though is it's not likely a daily thing and wild rabbits won't ever be medicated. Hopefully your dwarf will never have to be medicated either, but if he is, that's dangerous poops for the tort.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
The bunny should not be in the same area as the tortoise.
Of course wild rabbits will likely poop in your tortoise area. The difference though is it's not likely a daily thing and wild rabbits won't ever be medicated. Hopefully your dwarf will never have to be medicated either, but if he is, that's dangerous poops for the tort.
The bunny does not live in the same area, she has a cage, but we let her out, and she roams the house and the yard, as does the tortoise, in fact, they have a funny interaction: the bunny gets on the pots of the hibiscus plants to nib on them, and when the tortoise realizes she is there, she stays under the plans, and eats what the bunny drops (leaves, bits of flowers). So, they do not live in th same area, but we let both roam free for a bit every day, both inside the house and outside.
The bunny has never taken any medication, I'll keep that in mind for the future, if it ever happens.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, I didn't think they lived together but you said they roamed the same areas.
A tortoise should not roam the floors of your home. It's much to dangerous and we have seen to many hurt or killed by people that did this and said they give 100% supervision.
Roaming outside is great for a tortoise in a safe enclosure.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We got a dwarf bunny a few weeks ago, and I just noticed that she eats the olittle bunny droppings. Every day, we take the bunny out of her cage for her to be free for a few hours in the morning, and then for a couple more hours in the evening, to stretch her legs and take some sun, and, of course, she poops!

Is it ok that the tortoise eats her poop? The bunny eats mostly hay, hibiscus flowers and leaves, bunny pellets, some vegetables and greens.

I am almost sure it's ok, but I'd like to confirm, just in case.
Eating feces from any other animal is not something I would recommend or allow. Will this kill your tortoise? Probably not.

Each of them needs their own safe enclosed area to roam. Loose in the house or the yard is a recipe for disaster and we see it here constantly. It cannot be made safe. Every single one of the people that have had a disaster were sure it was safe, they supervised, and they thought nothing would happen. Each of them realized the truth of the matter one day too late.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Yes, I didn't think they lived together but you said they roamed the same areas.
A tortoise should not roam the floors of your home. It's much to dangerous and we have seen to many hurt or killed by people that did this and said they give 100% supervision.
Roaming outside is great for a tortoise in a safe enclosure.
Really?

This is my first tortoise, I had no idea, how could she die? I mean, what sort of accident could happen? (She is I would say 10-12 inches long, she is an adult, not a juvenile) We let her inside the house because she likes to come in, lol, as soon as the door to the yard (where she actually lives, in a secured area) is open, she comes into the house, and since the house is not so big and she is an adult tortoise, easily visible, we let her walk around (we never let any of our pets, other than our dog, walk free in the house if noone is around, they all have their enclosure, this is sort of like a "recess" we give them for stimulation). We have a box for her inside when we out her when the temperature outside is too hot or too cold and we will not be supervising, she goes into her box, but for the most part, she lives outside in a secured area of the yard, roughly 7 x 20 ft long, whereas the bunny lives in her cage for the most part, in the house, with 2 "recesses" during the day, in the morning and in the evening, a couple of hours each.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Eating feces from any other animal is not something I would recommend or allow. Will this kill your tortoise? Probably not.

Each of them needs their own safe enclosed area to roam. Loose in the house or the yard is a recipe for disaster and we see it here constantly. It cannot be made safe. Every single one of the people that have had a disaster were sure it was safe, they supervised, and they thought nothing would happen. Each of them realized the truth of the matter one day too late.
I come to this forum to learn, precisely because of this.

None of them are let to roam free in the yard, even though our yard is securely fenced throughout (we also have a tiny chihuahua, a secure fence is a big MUST for us). The tortoise has a section of the yard, which is adjacent to one side of the house, which is secured and vision blocked throughtout, this section is about 7 x 20 ft, since it is a large section and is adjacent to the house, we let the bunny go there to get some sun, as I said, a couple of hours in the morning, and a couple of hours in the evening, with this crazy heat lately, we are letting them be in the house more, because it is crazy hot outside.

Funny enough, our dog (a small chihuahua) is smaller than both the bunny and the tortoise, and she is (obviously) free to walk in the house and in the yard

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We have shown X-rays here on the Forum of tortoises with foreign objects inside them. One that springs to mind clearly shows a turtle charm on a lightweight chain. The tortoise will sample anything to see if it's edible. . . electric cords, dust bunnies, "rabbit poop," small plastic toys, etc.

And unless you live in South America near or in the rain forest, the climate inside your house isn't the type of environment a RF tortoise should be living in. For his health and well being he should have air temperature of 80 or so degrees, and high humidity.

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Yeah, tortoises are opportunistic eaters. I once used my jacket to shadow my tortoises outdoor enclosure, a little bit later I noticed Edward trying to swallow a piece of hair hanging from the jacket. I managed to luckily pull it out. Now imagine what happens to any dust, hairs or anything on your floor.

This thread has links and photos of everything that could happen: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/s...o-roam-around-on-the-floor-of-my-room.162445/

Point 22 on this post tells you shortly why having the chiuaua in the same space with the tortoise is a bad idea: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/info-for-new-people-please-read-this-first.202363/

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
We have shown X-rays here on the Forum of tortoises with foreign objects inside them. One that springs to mind clearly shows a turtle charm on a lightweight chain. The tortoise will sample anything to see if it's edible. . . electric cords, dust bunnies, "rabbit poop," small plastic toys, etc.

And unless you live in South America near or in the rain forest, the climate inside your house isn't the type of environment a RF tortoise should be living in. For his health and well being he should have air temperature of 80 or so degrees, and high humidity.
I really appreciate this post! Thank you for all the information.

Just keep in mind she does not LIVE inside the house, she steps in at times, and I let her. I am a Venezuelan national, I was raised and lived for the first 30 years of my live in the land where red-footed tortoises are actually from, and I have seen, first hand, many MANY times, wild tortoises, and they OFTEN come into houses, they breed in people's yards without anyone's intervention all the time. I had a wild one, a pretty big one come into my house once, they move around a WIDE range of climates, in Venezuela there are deserts, rainforests and snowy mountains, plain wetlands and everything inbetween, they don't JUST live in the rainforest, they are actually more common in the plains.

I am a very seasoned reptile owner, with over 20 years of experience keeping and breeding reptiles (NOT ONE ACCIDENT that required veterinary care so far) and even 5 years working in a repile zoo, I just had never wanted to own a pet tortoise, because it makes me uneasy to own a pet that can easily outlive me, but she literally crossed my path on the street here in South Florida, and, being a Venezuelan national, and it being a Venezuelan species, which is SO common back in my country, I felt I had to take it home. She has been with us for 2 years now. The bunny is rather new, we just got her last month.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Really?

This is my first tortoise, I had no idea, how could she die? I mean, what sort of accident could happen? (She is I would say 10-12 inches long, she is an adult, not a juvenile) We let her inside the house because she likes to come in, lol, as soon as the door to the yard (where she actually lives, in a secured area) is open, she comes into the house, and since the house is not so big and she is an adult tortoise, easily visible, we let her walk around (we never let any of our pets, other than our dog, walk free in the house if noone is around, they all have their enclosure, this is sort of like a "recess" we give them for stimulation). We have a box for her inside when we out her when the temperature outside is too hot or too cold and we will not be supervising, she goes into her box, but for the most part, she lives outside in a secured area of the yard, roughly 7 x 20 ft long, whereas the bunny lives in her cage for the most part, in the house, with 2 "recesses" during the day, in the morning and in the evening, a couple of hours each.
They get hair entanglement both inside their body and around limbs. They get crushed by doors, they eat stuff they aren't supposed to, it's too cold on the floor, and they need their own specific heat. This is just a few we have seen.
It's not proper care and shouldn't be done.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I come to this forum to learn, precisely because of this.

None of them are let to roam free in the yard, even though our yard is securely fenced throughout (we also have a tiny chihuahua, a secure fence is a big MUST for us). The tortoise has a section of the yard, which is adjacent to one side of the house, which is secured and vision blocked throughtout, this section is about 7 x 20 ft, since it is a large section and is adjacent to the house, we let the bunny go there to get some sun, as I said, a couple of hours in the morning, and a couple of hours in the evening, with this crazy heat lately, we are letting them be in the house more, because it is crazy hot outside.

Funny enough, our dog (a small chihuahua) is smaller than both the bunny and the tortoise, and she is (obviously) free to walk in the house and in the yard
Our goal is to help people avoid the common mistakes that we see harm tortoises. I hope we have helped your tortoise avoid the harm that is often done by letting them roam loose in a house.

I would not let the rabbit roam in the tortoise enclosure area. I would use a safe large rabbit hutch, or some sort of large cage for the rabbit. Like a big chicken coop style cage. Or have the rabbit roam somewhere else.

Do you have an insulated, temperature controlled night box in the outdoor enclosure? This serves as a safe retreat every night to keep the tortoise safe from rodents, ants and other night predators, gives them a cool place to hide out on hot days, and keeps them warm on those cold winter nights. Here are two examples:

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Absolutely, and that is why I come to this forum, because I very much value expert opinions from what I consider to be a reliable source, instead of just doing a Google search.

All my pets have "oversized" enclosures (the space for the tortoise is roughly 7 ft x 20 ft, not many tortoises have access to that much space my leopard geckos have 60-gallon tanks each... just to give a couple examples). But even the largest cage (considering it is an indoor cage) I would not think is big enough to be a permanent home for a bunny, that is why I let her out daily (remember the pandemic? Remember how it felt being inside the house 24/7?) Reptiles are more primitive, their brains do not "get" captivity like mammals do, I would not have a mammal confined to a cage 24/7, no matter how big a cage (same reason I do not keep birds), so, bunny will still be let out daily, early in the mornings and then in the evenings when the heat is not too bad, I'll make sure the tortoise is not around when the bunny is out so that she doesn't eat her poop.

However, if we focus on the tortoise, she doesn't come into the house all the time, not even every day, it is something that happens every now and then, I do consider she has enough space in her part of the yard to live there permanently, it's just when the weather gets too much, Whenever it is too hot or too cold outside, she has a box inside, with soil and a heatmat, for her to be safe from the extreme temperatures or hard rain in South Florida, lights showers are fine, but when the rain gets too much, I put her inside as well. I'll make sure she doesn't roam around the house anymore. Ingesting small items is something I had not thought of and I appreciate all of you who replied for that, that would be my only concern inside this house.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Any other input is greatly appreciated.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ingesting small items is something I had not thought of and I appreciate all of you who replied for that, that would be my only concern inside this house.

Any other input is greatly appreciated.
I'm glad you are picking up what we are putting down. The "tone" is not easy to discern with the printed word, but this is light conversation intended to be helpful. Some people feel attacked or offended and that is not our intention.

Ingesting small items is just one of the many ways they get hurt. One lady smashed her tortoise's head in the door jamb as she enter the room. Another family had a visiting guest leave the front door open and then ran their own tortoise over as they drove away. Its also too cold down on the floor, too slippery on wood or tile, carpet fibers get tangled on leg scales and cause strangulation of limbs, etc... The list of hazards is endless.

P.S. My bird cage is 20x60 feet and 8 feet tall.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
I'm glad you are picking up what we are putting down. The "tone" is not easy to discern with the printed word, but this is light conversation intended to be helpful. Some people feel attacked or offended and that is not our intention.

Ingesting small items is just one of the many ways they get hurt. One lady smashed her tortoise's head in the door jamb as she enter the room. Another family had a visiting guest leave the front door open and then ran their own tortoise over as they drove away. Its also too cold down on the floor, too slippery on wood or tile, carpet fibers get tangled on leg scales and cause strangulation of limbs, etc... The list of hazards is endless.

P.S. My bird cage is 20x60 feet and 8 feet tall.
I apologize if I have ofended you, it is never my intention, I do not do sarcasm unless it is in person and obvious (clarifying, just in case). I meant a sincere thank you for taking the time t read and reply. My "tone" in writing is usually plain, I try not to "hint" things, but to say them instead, in a respectful manner.

My downstairs is small, and there are only 2 doors, the main door, which, since I have a toddler and a chihuahua has an extra safety gate next to it (this way, I can open the door to get deliveries or speak to neighbors not worrying about my dog or my toddler running outside, my door can be open, and there is still a security gate in place), you have to intentionally open 2 doors at the same time to get in our out of the house. There is no way she could get smashed in a door, no doors here, small townhouse, downstairs it is just one area for livingroom, kitchen and dining room, the other "door" is a glass sliding door that leads outside, to the yard area where the tortoise lives, it is so heavy that the kids can't push it (I have little kids), I have to do it, there is no way I could crush her, she would be too visible, and the door is too heavy for it to be done carelessly. I do see the risk of ingesting small items, though, as there can be toys laying around, and this concern is reason enough to keep her outside, or inside her box when the weather gets too much.

Once again, a sincere thank you.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
I apologize if I have ofended you, it is never my intention, I do not do sarcasm unless it is in person and obvious (clarifying, just in case). I meant a sincere thank you for taking the time t read and reply. My "tone" in writing is usually plain, I try not to "hint" things, but to say them instead, in a respectful manner.

My downstairs is small, and there are only 2 doors, the main door, which, since I have a toddler and a chihuahua has an extra safety gate next to it (this way, I can open the door to get deliveries or speak to neighbors not worrying about my dog or my toddler running outside, my door can be open, and there is still a security gate in place), you have to intentionally open 2 doors at the same time to get in our out of the house. There is no way she could get smashed in a door, no doors here, small townhouse, downstairs it is just one area for livingroom, kitchen and dining room, the other "door" is a glass sliding door that leads outside, to the yard area where the tortoise lives, it is so heavy that the kids can't push it (I have little kids), I have to do it, there is no way I could crush her, she would be too visible, and the door is too heavy for it to be done carelessly. I do see the risk of ingesting small items, though, as there can be toys laying around, and this concern is reason enough to keep her outside, or inside her box when the weather gets too much.

It's completely your choice to take the risk and do some preventive measures or completely exclude it. You find many such little things in care sheets posted here - like not using sand, soil and moss in the enclosures, not keeping a pair together and so on. Some of the factors can "shoot" only once for a thousand of tortoises but when they add up risks look really high.

Thank you for listening to the advice and not taking a "defensive stance".

It was an interesting read about redfoots in Venezuela. I wish I had wild tortoises visiting my yard and not only stray cats! :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Oh not offended at all here. I was just saying that I am glad you weren't feeling attacked or insulted. We don't intend that at all, but sometimes some people feel that way. Our goal is only to help you and your tortoise.

The point is not to eliminate the few examples we gave of ways that tortoises have harmed themselves or been harmed. The list of ways they find to harm themselves is endless when they are out loose. I'm glad that most of the ways we shared won't be a problem in your house, but there are literally dozens more ways that we didn't list. The point is that letting them roam loose in the house is very dangerous and cannot be made safe for a wide variety of reasons.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
It's completely your choice to take the risk and do some preventive measures or completely exclude it. You find many such little things in care sheets posted here - like not using sand, soil and moss in the enclosures, not keeping a pair together and so on. Some of the factors can "shoot" only once for a thousand of tortoises but when they add up risks look really high.

Thank you for listening to the advice and not taking a "defensive stance".

It was an interesting read about redfoots in Venezuela. I wish I had wild tortoises visiting my yard and not only stray cats! :)
The thing is that I was, some years ago, a senior member with thousands of messages in another reptile forum, one about geckos (geckos have been my thing for over 20 years), and I was the one scrutinizing posts and pictures looking for errors in husbandry to try to offer advice. I was the one citing proper caresheets, giving as much advice as possible, even taking in sick or injured animals trying to help less experienced owners, and I know first hand how it can come across the wrong way and how people can get deffensive, but mostly, I know that all the advice comes from a very good place, a place of CARING for animals, a place of really worrying about helping as many animals as possible thrive, that is why I would never be offended, I understand where it comes from. Also, I am not a kid, I am fully grown woman who knows better than to take any forum messages personally.
All I want is to offer the best care I can to my tort (and to all my creatures), a tort who came into my life by chance, because, as I've said many times, I never wanted to own a pet tortoise, but who I plan on keeping for the rest of my life, and hopefully, then pass on to my children.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Oh not offended at all here. I was just saying that I am glad you weren't feeling attacked or insulted. We don't intend that at all, but sometimes some people feel that way. Our goal is only to help you and your tortoise.

The point is not to eliminate the few examples we gave of ways that tortoises have harmed themselves or been harmed. The list of ways they find to harm themselves is endless when they are out loose. I'm glad that most of the ways we shared won't be a problem in your house, but there are literally dozens more ways that we didn't list. The point is that letting them roam loose in the house is very dangerous and cannot be made safe for a wide variety of reasons.
Oh, yeah, not at all. I get it 1000%.
The good thing is that I do not need many examples, one reason is enough to adjust. Just remember it was never a frequent thing (for the bunny, yes, daily, but the tortoise came into the house just every now and then, and just recently) . For the first year and a half or so that we had her, she had another enclosure, some 7 by 7 area in a corner of the yard, but not adjacent to the house. Just recently we moved her to a bigger space that we secured for her, and that space has direct access to the house, through a sliding glass door, so, sometimes, if the door is open, she just walks in, and we let her (or, should I say, used to let her, until yesterday, lol).
By the way, just out of curiosity, I checked my floor temperature with my temp gun, it is 75. I have laminate floors, not tile or wood, and it is incredibly hot these days here in South Florida, like, crazy hot, still, I know the temps are not always like that, I was just curious.