Redfooted tortoise enclosure help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Blackburn, U.K.
Hello just a quicky,
do you have any ideas on how to accessorise a redfoot enclosure extremely cheap!!?
Its' table is not big atm just to let you know,
i change it around and add things all the time,
i become soo proud but then i put my tort into it and she eats or digs up everything,
turns stuff upside down (hide waterbowl..etc...)
And get all her bedding in her waterbowl which gets extremely annoying!
PLEAS PLEASE PLEASE HELP
Im 13 so i dont have...Almost...NO...money atall so please cheap but effective ideas!
:( :shy:

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
In my opinion, one of the things you should have thought about before getting a tortoise (or ANY animal/pet) is how your going to financially provide for it. I'm not a big fan of seeing posts like this because more often than not the animal is going to suffer and not get the care it's required.

She is probably digging to find damper places to hide. If you use the "search" function and search the forum for "redfoot tortoise enclosures" you'll come up with a number of ideas.

Sorry - But that's my opinion.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
I have owned her for 4 1/2 years and my parents have currently split up soo the income is not as high!

if you have nothing good to say dont say it for goodness sake!

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
tyler0912 said:
I have owned her for 4 1/2 years and my parents have currently split up soo the income is not as high!

Good for you Tyler! I think you cam to the right place to ask questions, I am sure you will get more helpful info, just try to let the other stuff go!

Do you have a basking area and a cool area so he/she can decide where to go to be comfortable. Also tortoises are diggers, it is interesting to them and normal. So look at it as her sort of playing in her enclosure, it is good that you are changing things around to keep her interested. Can you maybe rotate the plants you use, like put one in for a couple days and switch it with another before she is able to completely destroy them. Also if you can go online and try to identfy some of the plants and weeds in you area you may have all kinds of stuff in your yard that she would enjoy. Just make sure there aren't any pesticides on your lawn :) also changing the heights (like adding a hill) can add interest also.
I do think looking at some older posts will help give you some ideas also, rocks are free, and a lot of plants are too :) Good Luck

SnakeyeZ said:
In my opinion, one of the things you should have thought about before getting a tortoise (or ANY animal/pet) is how your going to financially provide for it. I'm not a big fan of seeing posts like this because more often than not the animal is going to suffer and not get the care it's required.

She is probably digging to find damper places to hide. If you use the "search" function and search the forum for "redfoot tortoise enclosures" you'll come up with a number of ideas.

He asked for help not hinderance. He is just a kid and in this economy we can all relate to not having a ton of money. :(

Skyler Nell

5 Year Member
Southern CA
you can make a humid hide for your redfoot out of gladware and a wet sponge? I'm not sure if they make gladware in the UK but just take one of the rectangle containers and cut an opening in one side large enough for your tortoise to fit inside. Moisten the sponge and secure it to the top of the inside.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
yes she has a basking area with a piece of slate which heats up and plays the role of a heat mat if the bulb deceides to blow its stays warm for about 2-3 hours and yes on the cool side i have some plexiglass over her cage to keep in intrest i will definetly try that! thank- you soo much! xx

Skyler Nell

5 Year Member
Southern CA
My tortoises like to play with a ping pong ball that i painted red, worth a try if you have a ping pong ball laying around?

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
wrmitchell22 said:
SnakeyeZ said:

He asked for help not hinderance. He is just a kid and in this economy we can all relate to not having a ton of money. :(

Oh don't get me wrong, everyone has financial problems from one time to another. If the intent of the OP was to setup his tortoise enclosure properly but appropiately than I apologize. I have been in this hobby for along time and have seen many people providing less than adequate living conditions 'just to save a few bucks'. We all (should) know that setting up ANY reptile properly is not cheap.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
tyler0912 said:
Hello just a quicky,
do you have any ideas on how to accessorise a redfoot enclosure extremely cheap!!?
Its' table is not big atm just to let you know,
i change it around and add things all the time,
i become soo proud but then i put my tort into it and she eats or digs up everything,
turns stuff upside down (hide waterbowl..etc...)
And get all her bedding in her waterbowl which gets extremely annoying!
PLEAS PLEASE PLEASE HELP
Im 13 so i dont have...Almost...NO...money atall so please cheap but effective ideas!
:( :shy:

Sounds like you are doing a good job taking care of her, and also that she is just exploring and having fun, which means more work for you :rolleyes:
Look around your house and yard for things you might be able to use: different small pots on their sides, a new rock, etc. Cluster any plants you have in the 'humid' area under the plexiglass. If you know someone with house plants, like a spider plant, ask for cuttings or sprouts and put them into a glass jar with water until they root, then plant them in small pots to use in the enclosure.
Making a few mounds is a great idea, perhaps on both outer sides of 2 bricks or small pots, with a small piece of wood across the top.
They just like to make a mess, in the wild it does not show as much!

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
One way to keep the substrate out of the water dish is to move it about a tortoise-width from a wall. A lot of the time, we put stuff (hides, plants, bowls) along the edges, but it often works better to put this stuff in the middle and leave the outer edges for the tortoise to walk along.

What are you using for a substrate?

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
I have reptibark mixed with compost and pellets that soak up water which helps with humidity for the substrate! ,
and thanks you ALL verry muchh!!! :D <3

I will try find somethings and then post pictures on this topic/forum....

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
tyler0912 said:

You might wanna update your signature. Say's you've had it for two years. :)

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
here are some pictures of her and her enclosure sorry if there bad quality!

some of them went wrong but i did not realize until now!

I ment to write 2 1/2 years not 4 1/2 sorry!

Attachments

• done.jpg
    done.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 35
  • done2.jpg
    done2.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 35
  • done3.jpg
    done3.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 26
  • done4.jpg
    done4.jpg