Redfoots addicted to Mazuri :(

Erik Elvis

Location (City and/or State)
Delaware
My Redfoots go for the mazuri first every time. Even over mango. But the eventually make their way to the greens. The only thing they’ll eat over mazuri is cooked shrimp. But that’s a rare treat

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Wild redfoots eat a LOT of fruits, but the fruits they eat are very different than what we have available. Try mixing things up with things like cactus pads or fruits, bell peppers, squash or pumpkin. Cut back on sugary, watery fruits and experiment with other greens. My guys generally liked the darker stuff, or picking some things out of bagged mixes.

Also, again, we generally WAY overfeed these guys. He may just not be hungry when you are just offering greens. On a related note- how are the torts bowel movements? If it is having good poops, and feels heavy for its size, then it is not a big deal (yet).

Zilla

Florida
I just rescued a 2-1/2 year old Redfoot (her name is "Godzilla") and I am having difficulty figuring out how to post questions. She seems to eat a LOT-lots of mixed greens-she Loves my home grown Arugula. She is CRAZY for papaya and melon. I got her Mazuri AND Zoo Med "Forrest tortoise" food on your forum member's recommendation. I figured I would alternate between Mazuri and Zoo Med just a small amount to make up whatever I may be missing. I read a Lot to research tortoises but I'm brand new so I don't know what I'm doing. Thanks to ALL of you for a lot of my education! My "Zilla" LOVES the Zoo Med much more than the Mazuri. My question is: today she ate a WHOLE nugget of the Zoo Med (which is a bit smaller than the Mazuri nuggets) in one bite without chewing, is that ok? Should I be moistening the dry food? They told me not to if she doesn't need it.
Thank you all in advance, Pam