redfoots at petco

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
I just got back from getting some frozen mice for my corn snake and saw a 4-5'' redfoot there for $100. They also had a $100 russian. I'm pretty tempted. Surprisingly the reptile guy there is pretty knowledgeable and they're not in too horrible of conditions.

Question: How old do you think the redfoot is? Not that it really matters, but I'm just wondering if it's more likely to be wild caught and older or captive bred and maybe very young.

I could just ask next time I go but who knows if he'll just say it's young and captive bred to try to make it more attractive to buy.

TKCARDANDCOIN

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
I bought a redfoot from petsmart back in september.He was lite as a feather.After a couple of months of mazuri and fresh greens and fruits he is packin on the weight.I did pick him up for $69.00

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
From what I understand, their Red-foots come from farms in South America where they are raised until they hit the legal-to-sell-commercially 4" limit. Because they are raised in nearly wild conditions, they are pretty smooth and apparently well-started. They go through a lot of stress to get to the store which makes them dehydrated- but that is correctable.

Without getting into the ethics of buying live animals from a big box store or a retail vs. trusted breeders debate, I would have to say the Red-foots I've seen at PetSmart lately have been good looking animals that I think would be a good investment.

As for age, it is probably older than most of our pets would be at that age since it probably had a very different diet at the farm. I'd guess 3-4 years, but this is not something I am good at.

envenomedcky

5 Year Member
I bought another red foot from Petsmart a few days ago and took him to the vet (Animal Care Unlimited in Ohio, VERY knowledgeable), and apparently the little guy/girl was swimming with parasites, had a respiratory infection, and was blind. Being as I am newer to raising torts, I didn't feel I was the best candidate to nurse the little fella back to perfect health, so I had to return him/her (with a full diagnosis from the vet, and what should be done to correct the illnesses). My other red foot, Morla, is doing just wonderful though. I just wish I could have been more prepared for a tortoise in that bad of condition.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Did you contact PetSmart about the ill tort?

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
New York
whenever i go to petsmart the tortoises look awful, and theyre usually so small. im going to buy another tort soon, and im going to buy it from petsmart/petco

zzzdanz

5 Year Member
Boston
I saw a RF in a 10 gal. with a Russian on sand at a salt water fish store at the mall.$130 for the RF, and I didn't see a price on the Russian.

The guy working there asked if I was interested,and I said if he gives me $100 I'll take them off his hands.I don't think I made any new friends in that store.

moswen

5 Year Member
RFs and russians are the only 2 tortoises that i have ever seen sold in any pet store in oklahoma (size and availability i believe are the 2 major factors). the russians are always wild caught here, and i'm almost positive that all of our red foots come from huge tortoise farms in south america, so...

i personally would love to rescue every tort i see from the horrible conditions and neglect they're most likely to suffer, but that would be WAY too much like supporting the whole idea of it that i hate so much. i'd rather pay for one from a knowledgeable breeder that just has a couple who happen to be mating and he's succsessfully hatching babies every so often. people who are in it for the money just have the wrong mentality towards their "income."

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
moswen said:
i personally would love to rescue every tort i see from the horrible conditions and neglect they're most likely to suffer, but that would be WAY too much like supporting the whole idea of it that i hate so much. i'd rather pay for one from a knowledgeable breeder that just has a couple who happen to be mating and he's succsessfully hatching babies every so often. people who are in it for the money just have the wrong mentality towards their "income."

I too prefer to buy from individuals. However, I don't have any problem with people wanting to make money from sales of their animals. Money is how our society operates, and everyone has to have it to survive. When I buy anything I understand that I am participating in an economy. My first choice is to participate in my own local economy, so that dollar at least has a chance of finding its way back to me. Second choice is to buy from individuals who are also participating in economies, local or otherwise. Last choice is mega-corporations because it seems like our dollars are on a one-way street with them. They get our money, and very little of it every finds its way back to us.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
I don't have a petco up here but in petsmart the RF's usually go for $350 (remember, this is Canada!). The absolute lowest I've seen one go for is $300 (from a local breeder). The ones in petsmart were fed pellets, and believe it or not, the humidity was 10%. :( I told them about tort care, but I don't think it'll reverse the pyramiding on the poor hatchling. :(

envenomedcky

5 Year Member
Madkins007 said:
Did you contact PetSmart about the ill tort?

Yes, They only gave me a refund. I was still stuck with the vet bill. They do have full documentation of all of the ailments afflicting the tort.

moswen

5 Year Member
oh no edna, i definatley understand you have to make money lol! i don't think ill of anyone who does this, i just prefer to buy from someone who has a better chance of caring for their little babies as a "life" , less as a "check." but i'm not saying all breeders do this! just... i don't know... something i said. maybe i stuck my foot in my mouth a little bit, but there are some ppl out there...

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
By buying the sick not well cared for tortoises at a pet store. .. it onyl supports what they are doing and they will get more and sell them..
If you dont see them cared for then educate them.. if the store manger isnt listening, then go to corporate...
It CAN change for the better.

abra

5 Year Member
Mass
Both of the Red Foots at my Petco looked really smooth. They switched the tank they had the Red Foots in with what they had the Russian in and they seem happier. The lights are closer so they're warmer and I saw one enjoying a soak, I think she might have been dehydrated, she looked at me and I fell in love :) Sucks I can't save her. Also sucks that the lights are further away from the Russian, I think they have one MVB in there for the little guy and he's in one of those tall tanks so he must be cold :/

HarleyK

5 Year Member
I checked one out last month and the shell was smooth. They probably come from the same breeder, but they looked very pretty! They are on sale for $70 so the price is great for a 4"

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I agree with one of the other posters that the RF's at petco are most likely farm raised, which would account for all the smooth shells, breeder won't sell to pet stores at the price most pet stores want to make a profit, I also want to rescue all the russians and the few RF's I see at petco, but it would only encourage them to buy more.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
Don't know how you guys are all finding smooth RFs at petco. Around here they're always 4" and always well underway pyramiding wise.

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
New York
they have some on sale at petsmart right now for 70 dollers, although it looks like the baby already is pyramiding? im buying her tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.