Redfoots outdoors in the Pacific Northwest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hyshnari

5 Year Member
http://www.weather.com/weather/wxcl...ph/98033?role=&from=36hr_bottomnav_undeclared

As you can see, my local weather is not tropical, but we get alot of rain and mild winters. I'd like to convert either my sunroom or attached garden shed into a outdoor redfoot enclosure. The sunroom is rainproof and has access to electricity, so I can easily heat that room with multiple basking lamps and provide a outdoor exercise area.

I haven't really heard of any other Pacific Northwesters' keeping their tortoises outside, though. I understand that a basking temperature of 80+ F is required, but will the tortoises stay indoors (and healthy) if the outdoor temperatures are too cold?

Does anyone from the Pac NW (or similar weather like europe) keep redfoots outside? How do you manage it?

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
I only take them outside and put them in a pen when it is nice enough... I wouldn't ever keep them outside here. (I live in Oregon)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Hyshnari:

366743mqn9wlpkbw.gif

to the forum!!

Shalon

5 Year Member
I haven't had mine long but she stays inside, unless it is a really nice day in the spring/summer. However, I still bring her in at night. I live in Oregon too.

turtlelver1211

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
salem, oregon
I live in the great state of Oregon also and i only take mine outside when it is above 80, and they stay outside in their pen which is enclosed, but yet the sunshine gets in. I would never leave them outside at night for fear something like a racoon would get them....

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Welcome to the group! I live in Washington and have an indoor Russian tortoise. Now I don't have the yard for him, but someday I plan to have an outdoor enclosure. I wouldn't keep him outside full time unless it was very enclosed. Redfoots however would do better with the clouds and drizzle, and it is mainly the lower temperatures (even in summer) that are an issue. I also like having him inside so I spend more time with him. :)

I think you could build a full time outdoor enclosure for them in something enclosed and heated like your shed, and open the door to the yard (wired to be safe from predators predators) when it is warm enough (with a flap so they can still go inside as they please). A tortoise may need to be taught to stay inside when it is too cold for them (thus you letting them out when it is safe), as in their natural habitat this would not be an issue.

M

Maggie Cummings

Hey...there seems to be quite a lot of people from the forum living in the PNW, how fun is that!!! I am in Corvallis and I'm thinking all of us in the PNW need to get together some time and compare notes...sounds like fun to me...

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
We could be... the American Society for Chelonian Upbringing and the Tortoise Experience (ASCUTE) lol ...

But that doesn't have to do with the NW... let me think up a better name...

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I would love a meet up! Should we organize one after you are back on your feet, Maggie? We could start a thread and figure out a good location depending on how many Washingtonians vs. Oregonians (and any others nearby) there are.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
I think it sounds like Maggie's house in centrally located, so we should party there! We can put a little hat on Bob and celebrate chelonians with a big pile of strawberries! (Maybe strawberry daiquiris for the humans).:p

Oregon is beautiful in the summer time and if we all volunteered to take a turn cleaning the pens I'm sure Maggie would let us! Whoo, pahty, pahty! I'll bring the keg and the chips!:D

pyxistort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Just notice this post. Welcome to the forum. I am same from the eastside area.

PNW owners keep redfoot indoor most of the time, except summer during the day. Mine are indoor all the time, and I am hoping to have first hatchling soon.

If you have a sunroom, that would be a wonderful place to keep them.

Scott

M

Maggie Cummings

OK I'm looking forward to meeting all of you...but I think that Jordan and I are at the bottom of where most forum members live. I think most are in the Seattle area...and we have one member way south of us in Roseburg I think it is...

blackcat38

5 Year Member
north wales, UK
Hyshnari said:
http://www.weather.com/weather/wxcl...ph/98033?role=&from=36hr_bottomnav_undeclared

As you can see, my local weather is not tropical, but we get alot of rain and mild winters. I'd like to convert either my sunroom or attached garden shed into a outdoor redfoot enclosure. The sunroom is rainproof and has access to electricity, so I can easily heat that room with multiple basking lamps and provide a outdoor exercise area.

I haven't really heard of any other Pacific Northwesters' keeping their tortoises outside, though. I understand that a basking temperature of 80+ F is required, but will the tortoises stay indoors (and healthy) if the outdoor temperatures are too cold?

Does anyone from the Pac NW (or similar weather like europe) keep redfoots outside? How do you manage it?

Hi
I'm from the uk and the weather is cold most of the time :( I keep mine inside through autum, winter and spring, they go outside in summer but have a planted greenhouse as our summers are cool. They are only small atm, they have a 4x6 foot viv. When they are adults I will either convert the garage or build them an insulated outhouse with access to the garden.

I don't know if you've seen this thread, one of mine escaped and I was worried about her being out in the cold, some interesting stories posted by other members
http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-8839.html

cork_screw

10 Year Member!
I don't think it's warm enough, the pacific north west has the right humidity, but way too cold.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
maggie3fan said:
OK I'm looking forward to meeting all of you...but I think that Jordan and I are at the bottom of where most forum members live. I think most are in the Seattle area...and we have one member way south of us in Roseburg I think it is...

Well, since Maggie doesn't want all of us descending on her house, maybe we can get her to rent a forklift or a small crane and hoist Bob into the back of her truck (maybe with a large pumpkin as company for the ride), and they could drive up to Washington State, where we could convene at ChadK's place!;)

After all, his family is used to big crowds. We could assign small groups of us to buddy each of his kids so they don't go unsupervised. In fact, I'll bet if we do this job well, Chad and his lovely wife might even disappear from the party, leaving us to critique and evaluate his many enclosures and animals of all varieties. Bob could be in charge of the animal games, and entertain us all with relay races and pie-eating and ramming contests--or a joust!--between himself and Chad's tool-attacking, shoe chewing Sulcata. How could a party be any merrier than with the natural distractions supplied by seven kids, a horde of tortoise nerds and a horde of tortoises!:p

The only possible glitch is that we'd have to ask Chad first. And I've often wondered if his charming wife only pretends to like all those animals...yes, it could be a complication.:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.