Redfoots outdoors in the PNW..... FINALLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balboa

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PNW
The sun has finally decided to visit us a bit in western washington. So far my redfoots haven't been able to enjoy their new outdoor enclosure much this so-called summer, but for the last few days they've been able to spend a couple hours a day there.

For the longest time it had just been dirt and a few scraggly weeds I'd planted in there after construction. I had also seeded it with a few edible flower types, but they didn't seem to be doing anything until a recent vegetative explosion. Actually it looks like only the violas made it, it must have stayed too cool, dark and wet for the other seeds.

Its no TerryO, but it accomplishes my goals. This is somewhat how I picture their natural environment. The pond needs some work, I decided the mixing tray I used is too deep for now and need something shallower.

DSCN4673.jpg

DSCN4675.jpg

They quickly dissapear and it can be a real bear to find them when its time to come inside.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I think it's great!! The pond that I put in Pio's garden is just as deep. I went to the dollar store and bought a bunch of river rocks and put them in until it wasn't that deep. If she gets any bigger (God forbid) I can always take them out to make it deeper. When she walks in the pond it just about cover's her shell with a little showing. I also put a lot of moss around the pond so she doesn't drag in any dirt. My friend had the one that you have and put cement in and made it deep in the middle and sloped down the sides. I love your hide...it looks very natural.

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Nice Balboa. Maybe you could but some stones in the bottom of the tray for now. Ah, Looks like TerryO beat me to it :)

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
You suck, I wish I could grow stuff half as thick as in your enclosure. :)

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Neal said:

Look's great Balboa:) Neal if you had that thick you be out looking for your tort's 10-15 mins a night like me :p

M

Maggie Cummings

It looks really nice, aren't you glad we are finally having some sun???

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
coreyc said:
Neal said:

Look's great Balboa:) Neal if you had that thick you be out looking for your tort's 10-15 mins a night like me :p

Ha ha .... no doubt ...! :D

JD~:)

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
Its no joke about having to spend 15 minutes looking for them. With the darn fence I have to walk around in there to find them, trying to be careful not to step on them and destroy all the vegetation I was trying to grow. I think I'd gladly trade some of the rain that makes it grow so thick for a bit of your sun Neal.

Thanks for all the compliments folks, and yes Maggie, its great to finally see some SUN!!!!!!!

TortoiseAddict

5 Year Member
Texas
this is really amazing i have the room for something like this in my backyard but my parents wont let me do it :( where did you get everything for this? Im really wishing i can upgrade jennys home sometime but my parents keep saying her habitat is fine >_<

Status
Not open for further replies.