Redirected Aggression with boy littermates

Sleppo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Philadelphia, PA
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has experienced this before. We live in a suburb of Philly which has a high population of feral cats. I try like hell to keep them away from my property but my alpha male cat has seen an intruder in his yard and is beating the crap out of his submissive litter mate. He also started marking certain areas, near the windows he's seen the other cats out of. I know this will subside once the intruder gets the hint and stops coming into my yard but I am concerned with him hurting his brother. Both boys were neutered at a young age so the fact he is marking without ever having marked before concerns me as well. I can confirm the marking is not a health issue this is 100% behavioral. I know this is likely a waiting game but wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this. Thanks all!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's too bad. I know multiple cats sometimes makes them mark their territory. Maybe it's as easy as blocking that window so bully boy can't see the stray cats. I think there are deterrent sprays you can use in the yard.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has experienced this before. We live in a suburb of Philly which has a high population of feral cats. I try like hell to keep them away from my property but my alpha male cat has seen an intruder in his yard and is beating the crap out of his submissive litter mate. He also started marking certain areas, near the windows he's seen the other cats out of. I know this will subside once the intruder gets the hint and stops coming into my yard but I am concerned with him hurting his brother. Both boys were neutered at a young age so the fact he is marking without ever having marked before concerns me as well. I can confirm the marking is not a health issue this is 100% behavioral. I know this is likely a waiting game but wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this. Thanks all!

So the cat you indicate as "my alpha male cat" lives outside as well as any other outdoor strays? Litter mates? How is this the situation? Hurting his brother? You mean there is a cat outside that is from the same litter?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I took it to mean the two littermates live indoors, but there are many neighborhood cats that wander through the property that the top dog cat sees out the window. When he sees those cats he sprays and picks on his brother.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I took it to mean the two littermates live indoors, but there are many neighborhood cats that wander through the property that the top dog cat sees out the window. When he sees those cats he sprays and picks on his brother.
That is my take as well

Sleppo

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
So the cat you indicate as "my alpha male cat" lives outside as well as any other outdoor strays? Litter mates? How is this the situation? Hurting his brother? You mean there is a cat outside that is from the same litter?

I have 3 indoor cats, 2 boy littermates and a younger female who we acquired years later. The cats they are seeing are feral city cats that use my yard as a passageway to get to other places. The problem is my alpha cat sees these feral cats and then directs the aggression to his brother.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
i'd lean towards Yvonne solution , you need to stop the cat seeing what's triggering the reaction . I know with dogs ,if let continue it can become a behavior even in the absence of the original trigger , they'll just relate the behavior to something else …..

Sleppo

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
i'd lean towards Yvonne solution , you need to stop the cat seeing what's triggering the reaction . I know with dogs ,if let continue it can become a behavior even in the absence of the original trigger , they'll just relate the behavior to something else …..

Yeah I need to give up and get curtains or blinds. Thank you!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yeah I need to give up and get curtains or blinds. Thank you!
In the meantime, just tape some butcher paper across the window (like you'd do for a tortoise in an aquarium!!!).

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I have 3 indoor cats, 2 boy littermates and a younger female who we acquired years later. The cats they are seeing are feral city cats that use my yard as a passageway to get to other places. The problem is my alpha cat sees these feral cats and then directs the aggression to his brother.

Is the female in your household also "Fixed"? If yes, then I would block the window/spot that the cat climbs to...block his leering spot. I know, some folks may say that is mean, but so it whooping the A of the brother.....it will take about 2-3 weeks to stop the cat from counting on the leering spot and then you can offer an alternative....remember, the cats live in YOUR home, not the other way around :)

Sleppo

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
Is the female in your household also "Fixed"? If yes, then I would block the window/spot that the cat climbs to...block his leering spot. I know, some folks may say that is mean, but so it whooping the A of the brother.....it will take about 2-3 weeks to stop the cat from counting on the leering spot and then you can offer an alternative....remember, the cats live in YOUR home, not the other way around :)

Well they sure as hell don’t think it’s my home! Haha :)

Yes the female in the house is fixed and I have been running off the outdoor intruder. I had to stop putting out bird feed which was drawing the intruder to the yard in the first place. Thanks for the advice, it’s finally starting to be peaceful!