Reeds canary grass

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have a source that grows it and bales it like hay. I can't find much on it except it's seeds are sold in the U.K. by shelled worriors, supposedly tortoise safe.
@Yvonne G @Will or anyone else know anything about this and can it be fed often enough to buy a bale of it?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I had never heard of it, so did an image search. It looks like it has a hard stem:

rc_grass2.jpg

I imagine it's edible, however, dried and baled that stem would be difficult for smaller tortoises to bite/eat.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
https://www.feedipedia.org/node/391

This grows in many places in the SF Bay Area, It makes a thick bunch, almost like a stool to sit on. As kids we would imitate 'hicks' by chewing in its stem. The lower stoll portion is thick with blades of grass the seed stalk are the heaviest stems, as Yvonne points out. You might just try some and see how it goes. Planted is makes good tussocks for tortoises to hide among.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thanks Yvonne.
I wondered about that hard stem. Some pictures I seen didn't show it, then others did, so wasn't sure if it had it or not. After more research, it is a hallow stem and seems to collapse easily.
I'll have too see if I can find some to see how stiff it really is.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
https://www.feedipedia.org/node/391

This grows in many places in the SF Bay Area, It makes a thick bunch, almost like a stool to sit on. As kids we would imitate 'hicks' by chewing in its stem. The lower stoll portion is thick with blades of grass the seed stalk are the heaviest stems, as Yvonne points out. You might just try some and see how it goes. Planted is makes good tussocks for tortoises to hide among.
Wow, it does sound kinda tuff. I'll have to compare the pics to a grassy plant I already gave growing in the leopards yard. It looks similar but not sure it's exact. If it is the same, the leopards don't touch it but it does give a nice hiding spot.
Thanks Will