Rehoming Russian Tortoise (In Oregon, portland metro area)

Status
Not open for further replies.

addyson77

Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
(Post allowed by moderator due to special circumstances)

Hello! I’m looking to rehome my sweet russian tortoise to a safe and loving home. I have had him for about 3 years now and I love him with my whole heart and wish more than anything that I could continue to care for him. However, I unfortunately haven't been able to give him the attention he deserves recently. I want to be completely sure that he will be going to a home that will love and care for him the way I have for the last few years. I’m asking for a $100 rehoming fee to make sure he goes to a good home, but this can be negotiated.

Info:

He is about 4 years old and a male testudo (russian) tortoise, which means with the right care he could live for many many more years. He is extremely well behaved and loves being pet on his shell and even the top of his head! He has no health issues, only small, harmless chips on his shell. He is very good with people and will warm up to you as soon as you feed him and make him feel comfortable.

Basic Care Requirements:

Please research extensively before getting any pet. Tortoises are easy to take care of however they do require a lot of work. A good place to start is the webpage: https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Russian tortoises eat a variety of leafy greens and lettuces, as well as weeds that are not treated with pesticides. This tortoise enjoys a mix of romaine lettuce, mustard greens, cauliflower, zucchini and other lettuce mixes. For some reason he likes bigger pieces of lettuce over the chopped kind, he can be a little picky in that area.

They also need a large enclosure (at least a 4 ft by 2 ft box, or 50 gallon tank) with bedding such as bark chips or coconut fiber. They need a food dish, a water dish, things to climb, and plenty of hiding places. I can include his current enclosure for an additional fee, just ask.

They will need a heat lamp as well as a uvb bulb. The interior temperature should be close to 95 degrees under the lamp and 75 on the other side of the enclosure. I have a handheld thermometer for this that I can include.

To care for him you must feed him once daily and refill his water dish when it gets low, spot clean his enclosure as often as possible and deep clean it monthly. You also need to give him weekly soaks for about 20 minutes in warm water up to the bottom of his shell (He often uses the restroom during this, which is normal). During the spring and summer months take him outside for awhile in an enclosed area to enjoy the sun and get some exercise (tortoises are faster than they seem so keep a close eye on him!)

*Serious inquiries only* If you are interested in adopting, please fill out this application https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1...h6mGUj35yR8Ips9iH299vZQQ/viewform?usp=sf_link

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.