Removing super glue from Russian tortoise shell?

christy0426

Location (City and/or State)
Providence, Rhode Island
I have recently taken in a small Russian tortoise after it was in the care of a teenager who had started neglecting him. Unfortunately, she used nail glue to secure beads onto his back, and I am not sure how (or if) they can be safely removed. The parent tried using a Dremel on the beads themselves, but did not want to get to close to his shell. We have considered bringing him to a vet, but want to weigh all options first in order to potentially avoid a huge medical bill. I am new to tortoise ownership, and am looking for any advice I can here, I worry long term the beads could cause problems!

Attachments

• IMG_20220419_205741_01.jpg
    IMG_20220419_205741_01.jpg
    800.3 KB · Views: 8

Cpassmore

Ontario Canada
Easiest and safest thing for removing adhesives is typically a very high concentration rubbing alcohol. Like 90 percent and higher. Even a lot of high concentration hand sanitizers will basically melt most adhesives. Just have to soak it with a cloth or something...should help. Personally I would buy some high concentration isopropyl rubbing alcohol from the 0harmacy or grocery store, soak some cotton swabs or a cloth and soak the glue with that making sure none runs down towards his head and eyes. Should help loosen it up

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I have recently taken in a small Russian tortoise after it was in the care of a teenager who had started neglecting him. Unfortunately, she used nail glue to secure beads onto his back, and I am not sure how (or if) they can be safely removed. The parent tried using a Dremel on the beads themselves, but did not want to get to close to his shell. We have considered bringing him to a vet, but want to weigh all options first in order to potentially avoid a huge medical bill. I am new to tortoise ownership, and am looking for any advice I can here, I worry long term the beads could cause problems!
You could also try coconut oil. It might not happen overnight but in time it should.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I think any of the solutions mentioned above can work, just make sure to keep it off their skin, away from their face, and to rinse them off completely afterwards... probably obvious, but it can't hurt to mention.

J

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,
Thanks for rescuing this poor tort.
If you google superglue remover you'll find some products specifically for that but I don't know if they would be safe to use on tort shells.
Maybe find some that are easy for you to get hold of and and post them here to check which would be best.

Grace-Sophia

Texas
I would say that some mineral oil might be a good option.
I have used it a many times to get Texas Spiny Tailed Lizards out of the glue traps around the barn, it does not harm them due to it's natural properties. But, like Yvonne stated above, do not get it in their eyes, any of the listed solutions at that.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Hi thanks for rescuing this tortoise what a sad story. They are do defenceless and that lends itself to coloring, painting and decorating! My view is read the care sheets and check your set up, liight, heat, diet, soaks and substrate to provide best new home for it. . If it was me I would very carefully try to remove them gently over time. You must do this with the tortoise slightly wedged and lifted at the front to avoid any liquid running down the shell towards the front shell, face or legs. I would start with a q tip and take upmost care. I doubt it will lift in one session, once you have had a session have clean warm water and a cup and run that over the tortoise back towards tail. Do not put tortoise in that water. Once rinsed you can place the tortoise in new clean shallow warm water to give it a soak or return to enclosure, let us know how you get on.

TortoisesFLA

5 Year Member
West Coast of Florida
ugh!! that idiot girl! maybe an innocuous oil of some kind will soften the glue. Olive oil? Lavender oil?
Nail salons use acetone to remove fake nails. It's super harsh though :(
All I know is if I ever got superglue on my fingers it eventually wore off from the oils in my hands.
Praying the little guy does well in your loving hands!