Renovated Tortoise Enclosure Pics and Heating Questions

SunnySideUp

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
As I continue to wait for the spring thaw to bring proper shipping conditions, I've been working on my future tortoise's enclosure. I have since modified the lid for it since my last thread (seen here ) so it has a more roof-like shape. The dimensions of the box are still 6' by 2.5' This has allowed me to hang my fixtures from inside a closed chamber.

New Enclosure Front.jpg

New Enclosure Side.jpg

New Enclosure Inside.jpg

This was my first time building anything even remotely close to a tortoise table, so please excuse any flaws in craftmanship, haha. The transparent sheet on the opening is cut from a clear shower curtain. After running my lights for several hours, the plastic hasn't even gotten remotely warm, so I don't think there is any concern there. There is a good amount of open air between the dome fixture and the plastic curtain.

Where I've run into some problems is with gauging my heating. I've been doing some tests and I was wondering what you think is the best method of taking basking spot temperature. I have a Zilla 100w basking bulb in a 8.5" dome fixture. It is roughly 15" above a stone I've propped up beneath it. After leaving the light on for several hours, the basking spot reads to be around 95-100F with an infared thermometer I bought at a hardware store. Would it be better for me to put a digital thermometer below it? I have the brand seen here (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004K8RF10/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20).

By using this thermometer, it seems that the air temperature near the basking area but not directly beneath the light is 79F. The middle area of the enclosure is 73F. Is this too cold for a Hermann's tortoise? I feel that it is worth mentioning that my house's current temperature is 64F. This is probably the coldest it will be during the year, because right now we are in the heart of a Michigan winter. Because we do not excessively heat or cool our house, it will be significantly warmer in the summer. During that time I plan to switch out the 100w bulb for a lower wattage (probably 65w) so the closed chamber does not overheat.

Does this all sound okay? Please note I have yet to put down a tarp in the enclosure, along with the 50% soil 50% coco coir substrate I intend to use.

I may have to buy a low wattage CHE and have it set on a thermostat during the winter just to raise the ambient temperature to between 75-80 degrees. Would a CHE be safe to have in my enclosure? And, if so, what type of fixture/brand of thermostat would you recommend?

Last edited by a moderator:

edwardbo

5 Year Member
Looks fantastic,what is going to live in it .? Try not to worry so much ,often times the torts will let you know what they need...oh just looked and saw that your getting a Herman's .best of luck .have you selected the tort yet?

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
I love how you are getting everything ready for your tort. You did a great job.

SunnySideUp

5 Year Member
Michigan
Thank you both so much! Yup, I've been busy amassing lots of stuff to put inside the enclosure. I've been in contact with a breeder and looked at some pictures of his hatchlings, but nothing is truly set in stone yet. Once it's spring time I'll know for sure who I'll be receiving. I cannot wait!

I'll probably end up getting a low wattage CHE, if only for the winter. It can get pretty chilly out here.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Julie:

If your new tortoise is going to be a baby, then I think your temps are just a bit low. I would go for about 100F directly under the light, then fading to around 80F at one end and 75F at the other end. You might need to buy a CHE to achieve the higher temps, but try lowering your light first.

SunnySideUp

5 Year Member
Michigan
Thank you, Yvonne. Yes, I'm concerned about the ambient temperature at the far end. I think I will invest in a CHE and thermostat to lift the temperatures those few degrees. I just wanted to double check with someone of experience before making any purchases.

I have plenty of room to lower my light, so those basking temps won't be a problem :)