Repti Bark/Orchid bark good for baby Hermann's?

Is reptibark/orchid bark good for baby Hermann's?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

ayrgrn

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hello,
I'm considering changing my Coco coir and topsoil mix to either repti bark (or orchid bark if I can find any near me) but am concerned whether it is suitable for my baby Hermann's who is nearly 8 months old.
The Coco coir and topsoil mix I have in my table right now is giving me a headache! It is SO MESSY, getting in his eyes and in his neck between shell and i'm hating it!
My question is, are the bark pieces in repti bark too big for 6-7cm Hermann's? Also, he likes to burrow a little bit at night.

I'm saying repti bark because I know it is basically orchid bark but for some reason I am struggling to find a garden centre that sells it near me and I can buy repti bark cheap online. If any one knows where they sell orchid bark in Swindon, UK then please share!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My preference for baby Testudo is damp coco coir that is hand packed and about 3-4". It is messy, but it does settle in after about 2 weeks.

Having said that, orchid bark would be my second choice for them. Orchid bark is my first choice for older larger Testudo, and all sizes of every other species.

ayrgrn

UK
My preference for baby Testudo is damp coco coir that is hand packed and about 3-4". It is messy, but it does settle in after about 2 weeks.

Having said that, orchid bark would be my second choice for them. Orchid bark is my first choice for older larger Testudo, and all sizes of every other species.
I've tried dampening the course which does help with the mess but it just raises the humidity too high for a Hermann's so I think I'm going to have to go with the bark. Do you think he'll be able to walk and burrow okay if I get a fine grade bark?

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
I've tried dampening the course which does help with the mess but it just raises the humidity too high for a Hermann's so I think I'm going to have to go with the bark. Do you think he'll be able to walk and burrow okay if I get a fine grade bark?
I would use coco coir and orchid bark on top. I use the repti bark brand aswell, I’ve had no problems with it

ayrgrn

UK
I would use coco coir and orchid bark on top. I use the repti bark brand aswell, I’ve had no problems with it
I was thinking that but then I read some other threads about that and it says that the Coco coir underneath the bark will start to smell because of the urine and feces that will sink into it?

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
I was thinking that but then I read some other threads about that and it says that the Coco coir underneath the bark will start to smell because of the urine and feces that will sink into it?
I’ve used it for months and months and no smell. If your worried about that then you can mix it up a bit with your hand.

ayrgrn

UK
I’ve used it for months and months and no smell. If your worried about that then you can mix it up a bit with your hand.
Okay thanks, will consider doing this.

ayrgrn

UK
Do you think this would be okay? It contains this stuff called "seramis" which I think is just clay but just asking to make sure.

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
Do you think this would be okay? It contains this stuff called "seramis" which I think is just clay but just asking to make sure.
I’m not sure, but personally if there was something in the substrate that I wasn’t sure about then I wouldn’t use it. It may be fine but just incase, I would hold of from purchasing it just so someone may be able to chip in and confirm that it’s safe. Good luck:D

ayrgrn

UK
I’m not sure, but personally if there was something in the substrate that I wasn’t sure about then I wouldn’t use it. It may be fine but just incase, I would hold of from purchasing it just so someone may be able to chip in and confirm that it’s safe. Good luck:D
Okay thanks :)

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Why do you think coco coir is to humid. If it is a baby, they can have 100 percent humidity, and this will not hurt them. Babies should be raised in higher humidity to stop it from pyramiding.

ayrgrn

UK
Why do you think coco coir is to humid. If it is a baby, they can have 100 percent humidity, and this will not hurt them. Babies should be raised in higher humidity to stop it from pyramiding.
Oh okay, didn't know this, I thought they could develop shell root?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How high does it get? Humidity of 70-80 is fine for a baby hermanni.

They can walk on it with no problem, and my Russians and desert tortoises had no problem digging into it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If you are soaking your baby often then then it will be pooping and peeing in the soak water. All you you should have to clean up is the leftover food and clean the water.