Repti-therm habitat heater......

ybaker

Location (City and/or State)
Cypress, TX
We are finally going to start building Herman (4-yr-old Sulcata) her "winter home". I'm so excited to see the end result, and really hoping she will actually go in it. ? I'm following Tom's "single tortoise night box" plans - very detailed - thanks! My question is about the heat mat. We got a Repti-therm habitat heater and the instructions say not to put anything on the mat - substrate/animal bedding, blanket, etc. Doesn't really make much sense, since it's a "mat". We are planning on putting it in her house, along with some hay. Herman will be on the mat, and I'm sure the hay will also be on the mat. Will this be a problem? Their warning really has me worried. We thought about attaching it to one of the inside walls of the house - thinking it will still provide heat. It also says not to expose it to rain or high humidity - over 90%. The box will be about 2'x 4'. I don't know how much rain will get in, if any. And the humidity.....we live in Houston - humidity is our normal temp. Now, really thinking about this, perhaps I bought the wrong heater mat? Should I have purchased the Kane mat?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings....

We use a Kane heat mat here for our Sully’s outdoor and later in November indoor night box. I would suggest NOT using hay or straw, but cypress mulch. Many ppl don’t use anything, but I have really been happy with using a few inches of cypress mulch. The Kane heating pad is “far left” in the enclosure, entrance fsr right. Once the enclosure was complete, I put in a few extra pieces of plywood on the bottom. This way if tgey start to decay, easy to lift up & discard.

I have a board securely holding the pad to the floor, and the mulch is about 2-3 inches deep....i believe the mulch absorbs a lot of the tort waste, holds in humidity, gives our Sully something to scratch and settle in totally on or off or close to the Kane mat.

Our Sully routinely moves mulch up on & off the pad. Never an issue really. With the heating mat tied into a thermostat set at 85 or so, never an issue. For what it’s worth in your design, as Tom does, I also have a Radiant Heat Panel attached to the inside of the roof. Sooooo, Kane heat pad beneath, RHP from above. Bith are tied into a single thermostat.

good luck. I’m not familiar with the Repti-therm heater (so can’t comment).

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We are finally going to start building Herman (4-yr-old Sulcata) her "winter home". I'm so excited to see the end result, and really hoping she will actually go in it. ? I'm following Tom's "single tortoise night box" plans - very detailed - thanks! My question is about the heat mat. We got a Repti-therm habitat heater and the instructions say not to put anything on the mat - substrate/animal bedding, blanket, etc. Doesn't really make much sense, since it's a "mat". We are planning on putting it in her house, along with some hay. Herman will be on the mat, and I'm sure the hay will also be on the mat. Will this be a problem? Their warning really has me worried. We thought about attaching it to one of the inside walls of the house - thinking it will still provide heat. It also says not to expose it to rain or high humidity - over 90%. The box will be about 2'x 4'. I don't know how much rain will get in, if any. And the humidity.....we live in Houston - humidity is our normal temp. Now, really thinking about this, perhaps I bought the wrong heater mat? Should I have purchased the Kane mat?
I'd return that mat and get a Kane instead. The Kane mats have built in redundant safeties that the cheaper mats don't. Those extra few dollars might save your tortoise's life.

No substrate with a heat mat in an outdoor box. If you want to use substrate, you need to run an oil heater instead and no mat, but I don't recommend substrate for a sulcata. They generate too much mess and you'll be changing the substrate two or three times a week. Best to run a thin layer of dirt. The dirt abosrbs the mess and makes clean up quick and easy. Hay doesn't do anything for an ectotherm anyway. I keep orchard grass hay or Bermuda hay outside the box for them to eat.

If you run the mat, you need to also run an overhead RHP. The heat mat alone won't be enough to maintain heat.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Not one to contradict @Tom , but if you have cypress mulch in the enclosure BUT NOT ON the pad/mat, all is well. When you lift your enclosure lid to check things, any mess on the matt is easily brushed off. Never an issue. I like the substrate ‘cause it gives your Sully something to dig into and absorbs any and all bodily functions. It’s worked very well for me now for two or three years. No hay or straw!

ybaker

Cypress, TX
I'd return that mat and get a Kane instead. The Kane mats have built in redundant safeties that the cheaper mats don't. Those extra few dollars might save your tortoise's life.

No substrate with a heat mat in an outdoor box. If you want to use substrate, you need to run an oil heater instead and no mat, but I don't recommend substrate for a sulcata. They generate too much mess and you'll be changing the substrate two or three times a week. Best to run a thin layer of dirt. The dirt abosrbs the mess and makes clean up quick and easy. Hay doesn't do anything for an ectotherm anyway. I keep orchard grass hay or Bermuda hay outside the box for them to eat.

If you run the mat, you need to also run an overhead RHP. The heat mat alone won't be enough to maintain heat.
Thanks so much for the feedback!! It's funny.....I keep thinking my pets are people. :) I don't want to lay down on a hard piece of wood - would want something comfy on top of it. So,I automatically assume my sulcata and dog want/need the same thing. Hard mindset to get out of. Looks like I'm going shopping - which, of course, isn't a bad thing. Thanks again!!! So much to learn

ybaker

Cypress, TX
One question I just thought of - the mat doesn't have to be the full size of the enclosure? And, do I need a cover for the mat? I'm kind of thinking no, since Herman is pretty good at pooping/peeing anywhere she gets the hankering. And, cleaning would be not much fun.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
One question I just thought of - the mat doesn't have to be the full size of the enclosure? And, do I need a cover for the mat? I'm kind of thinking no, since Herman is pretty good at pooping/peeing anywhere she gets the hankering. And, cleaning would be not much fun.
We buy these expensive nice cushiony beds for our dogs. They lay on the cool hard tile floor right next to them. :eek: D'oh!

No cover of any kind for your mat. The mat should cover less than half the enclosure. In my 4x4 boxes, I use the 18x28 inch Kane mats. This way they can get off the heat source when they want, but still be in the warm air on a cold night or day. The combination of the Kane mat below and the RHP overhead makes a nice safe warming area for them and is also able to maintain warm air temps on a cold night.

ybaker

Cypress, TX
Super - thanks again!! I think I'm all set for the heat.....after one more question. :) What type of RHP do you recommend? There are just so many. It can be so overwhelming.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Super - thanks again!! I think I'm all set for the heat.....after one more question. :) What type of RHP do you recommend? There are just so many. It can be so overwhelming.
I've used the ones sold by Reptile Basic for years, but I think they've changed them since the last ones I bought. I think they are made by Vivarium Electronics. Will from @Kapidolo Farms sells these now, if I'm not mistaken. That is where I would look for them.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I mount the RHP on the wall, that way the tortoise can 'lean' into it or be a few inches away. Always use any heating device with a thermostat. Two with devices so different as a Kane heat mat and an RHP, they cycle on and off differently.
https://kapidolofarms.com/product-category/supplies-etc-2/ve-radiant-heat-panels/ The only way I can be competitive with Reptile Basics is to offer them as I do, two in a box shipped or with a thermostat. I have a better price at shows - in person, just can't post it. It may be better to go with Reptile Basics directly?
I've used the ones sold by Reptile Basic for years, but I think they've changed them since the last ones I bought. I think they are made by Vivarium Electronics. Will from @Kapidolo Farms sells these now, if I'm not mistaken. That is where I would look for them.

ybaker

Cypress, TX
I mount the RHP on the wall, that way the tortoise can 'lean' into it or be a few inches away. Always use any heating device with a thermostat. Two with devices so different as a Kane heat mat and an RHP, they cycle on and off differently.
https://kapidolofarms.com/product-category/supplies-etc-2/ve-radiant-heat-panels/ The only way I can be competitive with Reptile Basics is to offer them as I do, two in a box shipped or with a thermostat. I have a better price at shows - in person, just can't post it. It may be better to go with Reptile Basics directly?
Good to know about using 2 thermostats. I have the "BN-Link digital heat mat thermostat controller". Will put a 2nd unit on my list. I'm looking for the Zilla one, but it's sold out at my local pet store.
Thank you so much for directing me to Reptile Basics! Most places would try to sell me on their bundle. I like honesty in a company. :) I've purchased some treats from y'all for Herman. She loves the rose hips!!! And, I'm ordering one of the calcium packs now. :) Thanks again!!! Appreciate all the help! This can be so overwhelming. Dogs - I know what to feed and how to take care of them. Tortoises.....not so much.