ReptiFogger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OllieInAZ

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tempe, AZ
Hello all,

I visited a couple local pet stores yesterday and saw a ReptiFogger for the first time. It was steaming up a frog tank. Then I saw it on the shelf and the back label claims it is a good way to prevent pyramiding. When I got home the first thing I did was search the forum .. and sure enough there were several threads referencing the device.

So, I wanted to ask for updated information from those that bought one.... are you still using it? using it for hatchlings? how long have you been using it? what else can you share about the experience?

Badgemash

5 Year Member
I use one with my guys, it seems to work well, but the water in Tempe is so hard we have to use distilled in it. I only use it during the day so that there's no evaporative cooling effect at night, but I definitely think it's helped them grow smoothly.

-Devon

OllieInAZ

5 Year Member
Tempe, AZ
Devon,

Sorry for my late response, but thanks for your reply!

I bought a ReptiFogger over the weekend. I decided to ease my little torts into it by running it on the lowest setting for a few hours every morning. They both seem much more active when it's on. Hopefully that's a sign they like it.

Thanks for the pointer on the hard water ... I'm in Tempe too.

Charles

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
WOW does it actually say used to prevent pyramiding? I am shocked.

OllieInAZ

5 Year Member
Tempe, AZ
dmmj said:
WOW does it actually say used to prevent pyramiding? I am shocked.

Yeah, I was very surprised, "Hatchling and juvenile tortoises to prevent pyramiding"

Attachments

• reptifogger.JPG
    reptifogger.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 28

Badgemash

5 Year Member
Yeah I giggled when I saw that too, but it does seem to work. Sometimes I catch Mr.T sitting under the spout taking a little fog bath.

-Devon

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've used it on sulcatas, but never leopards. Leopards SEEM so sensitive to respiratory problems, it makes me nervous. I've heard some tortoise keepers in FL have trouble keeping them healthy. I've never heard anybody from AZ have trouble keeping them healthy. The Fife's in AZ just provide a humid hide box and shell sprays with their hatchlings.

Just watch your temps and use caution.

OllieInAZ

5 Year Member
Tempe, AZ
Appreciate the comments Tom.

I'm keeping a close eye on them and trying to limit it to a couple hours a day at the most. Here in AZ it's just *very* dry and a challenge to keep the humidity up.

One thing I do worry about is rapid changes in humidity -- not so much from using the ReptiFogger inside but more from trying to keep humidity higher inside and then also trying to provide them with ample time to bask and exercise outdoors. In the Arizona summer relative humidity is often in the teens with temps in the 90s or 100s. Any thoughts or experiences?

Badgemash

5 Year Member
Our tort "table" (more of a leg-less table) has wheels on the bottom, so when the weather is good I just roll them out the door onto the balcony. That way they're still in a familiar environment with moist substrate, the lighting has just changed (also I am lazy and it's easier to roll them around instead of building a separate outdoor enclosure).

I also only use the fogger on the warm basking end and turn on the CHE (plus the MVB which is always on during the day) to keep the temps up. I haven't seen any nose bubbles or indicators of respiratory distress so far, and we've been using it for about 6 months. Of course there's always a risk so I do keep a close eye them, plus I get extra reassurance because they're at the vet so frequently (I've had to travel a lot over the last year and they get boarded with our vet).

-Devon

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Something to think about. I have also been thinking about putting a ground level bubbler in the new tort pen outside.

Chris.Todd.1991

5 Year Member
I've been using one for my year old for the past 3 weeks, he seems to be acting better now that it keeps his humidity higher. I had trouble raising his humidity over 20% even with spraying and having a humid hide but this seems to do the trick pretty well so far, I'll update if anything occurs in the future

Status
Not open for further replies.