Reptile doctor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Germy

5 Year Member
I know that this is a broad question, but I need to know. How much does a vet checkup cost? Is bloodwork more? Just looking for a price to expect

Thanks
Germy

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
it really depends on the place, typically i have seen general physicals costing from 60-100 or more, including fecal testing for parasites, but not including blood work. Xrays usually run about 80 for the films, however most dvm's and md's are using digital imaging which costs significantly less to take xrays because there is no film, but either way you are entitled to copies of the xrays. My vet usually emails me copies of everything. Most vets consider reptiles to be a specialty, therefore they are charging you more for their "increased knowledge." But, because much of the specialty knowledge vets have (or supposed they have) is accessible on the internet or by just contacting *reputable people in the field, or through books you can purchase through amazon for the price of a vet visit or 2, i would urge you to read-up on whatever topic you would pay a vet to know, and use the vet as a second opinion... one that can confirm or challenge your diagnoses, and perform surgeries and prescribe medications to your tortoise. it is kind of funny whenever i come to see my vets-who i have a tremendous respect for, because they always ask what i think is going on etc, and so far i have been right, last time my vet asked me "for fun" how many eggs i thought she had left after laying one, and i told him i could physically palpate 2, but know due her history there should be one more, and low and behold she still had 3 inside on the xray film... he just laughed. I also take very good notes on my torts when they are acting out of the ordinary, which helps pinpoint or rule-out specific conditions. Once you build this relationship with a vet, they usually workout the costs with you, especially if you are a broke college-kid/ zoo keeper like me that rescues (usually by default) turtles and torts.

tortuga_please

5 Year Member
Just call different vets in your area, most will be happy to let you know their prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.