"Reptile Medicine and Surgery" ed. by Douglas Mader

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
"Reptile Medicine and Surgery, Second Edition", edited by Douglas Mader, DVM. Sauders/Elsevier Publishing, 2005. 1264 pages with photos, charts, diagrams, index, and appendi. Amazon.com- $120 (http://www.amazon.com/dp/072169327X/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20)

This is pretty near THE 'bible' for reptile medicine. It is definitely written for people with strong veterinary or medical backgrounds. It covers everything from elements of managing a vet practice that sees herps to complete dosage lists for meds. Reading it is like reading an encyclopedia in a language you sorta understand- long passages make little sense to me, but a lot of the book is clear and insightful.

Since it covers ALL herps, it does not spend any special time with tortoises, so you often have to wade through a lot of stuff to get answers. I find that the index is only fair in helping me find what I want- but in a book this thick, I guess that is only to be expected.

Some things from the book:
- Almost no discussion of oxalates, and barely any mention of goiterogens. Does not seem to feel that these are issues when diet and cares are OK. Mentions oxalates in the bladder stone section but obviously feels dehydration is a bigger issue.
- Frank admission that we do not know vitamin and mineral needs for more reptiles, but does offer clinical dosages that work.
- A discussion of fluorescent lights that shows that standard GE Cool White bulbs do more to process vitamin D than Reptisun 2.0 or some other low-level UVB bulbs (p.1082)
- Great section on cleanliness with the idea to feed using 'pads' of newspaper that can be discarded after use.
- One of the best short 'care for herps' outlines I have ever seen.
- and more and more and more and more.
- The formula for daily calorie needs,

I would LOVE to get Dr. Mader to do a version of his book for the average keeper- I think it would blow a lot of the other books on the market away.

A very good book that has quite a bit for the average keeper, but that is priced more for the research nerds and bigger keepers.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Madkins,
You always seem to be familiar with scholarly articles and books with reference to Chelonian care and health. I'm guessing you're a veterinarian by trade?

Anyway, I have already read South American Tortoises by Vinke and Vetter. Are there any other books of general tortoise keeping (other than the one cited above) that you would recommend for a novice keeper of a Chaco tortoise? I have read many articles on the internet, by authors such as Melissa Kaplan, Chris Tabaka, and some German guy whose name I can't seem to find!:rolleyes:

There doesn't seem to be a lot of research done on Chaco's, and they are very different from their Redfoot and Yellowfoot cousins in South America.:p

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I am not a vet, nor in any area of animal care or husbandry. I am a wheelchair technician, Red Cross instructor, and gadget reviewer. I just like to read and research.

Other things about Chacos- about all I know is a field article by the Vinke's- http://www.chelidae.com/pdf/vinke2001.pdf

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Madkins007 said:
I am not a vet, nor in any area of animal care or husbandry. I am a wheelchair technician, Red Cross instructor, and gadget reviewer. I just like to read and research.

Other things about Chacos- about all I know is a field article by the Vinke's- http://www.chelidae.com/pdf/vinke2001.pdf

It is obvious that you are very well-read, and I admire your objectivity and tact. Your posts never sound patronizing or biased, and I for one appreciate the way you cite your references and are thorough in your explanations.

I read the article you attached; the section on Chaco's was short but interesting.:D

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
If you want the ultimate Tortoise and Turtle medical book, than you have to have "Medicine and Surgery of Tortoises and Turtles" by Stuart McArthur, Roger Wilkinson & Jean Meyer with Charles Innis and Steve Hernandez-Divers. It is a bit pricey (over $200), but is an awesome book.

Danny

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
egyptiandan said:
If you want the ultimate Tortoise and Turtle medical book, than you have to have "Medicine and Surgery of Tortoises and Turtles" by Stuart McArthur, Roger Wilkinson & Jean Meyer with Charles Innis and Steve Hernandez-Divers. It is a bit pricey (over $200), but is an awesome book.

Danny

We agree 100% Danny. There is no better medical book for tortoises! We have it and have even referred our vet to it. The photos are amazing and very detailed.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
There is a limit to my insane desire to collect books. The only reason I got Maders is that I got a great deal from Amazon UK for it and a couple others. The tort vet book is supposed to be fantastic, but I keep hoping to find it cheap or at a library.

Status
Not open for further replies.