Reptilemania Tour at San Diego Zoo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stenty

5 Year Member
Yesterday, I took a behind-the-scenes tour at San Diego Zoo as part of their Reptilemania event. We spent some time in the reptile house talking to a keeper and looking at some of the animals that were off-exhibit. He showed us the incubator room where there was a mata mata that has just hatched. It was still sitting inside the egg. We also saw a long neck turtle that had just hatched. Then we went to the Galapagos exhibit where we got to feed them and tour the new barn. We also had a private golfcart tour of the zoo. We stopped to look at various reptiles (and other animals) along the way. It was a fantastic tour and very informative. It isn't offered very often, so I'm so glad I was able to go.

Attachments

• longneck.jpg
    longneck.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 49
  • galaps.JPG
    galaps.JPG
    135.6 KB · Views: 56

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I've never been to the Reptilemania event, but I did recently get to see the galapagos. Aren't they wonderful. I sat and looked at them for the longest time, just didn't want to leave. Amazing creatures!!!

Phantom9

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Elverta, CA (Just outside of Sacramento)
Very very envious!! I live in Sacramento and the zoo here is lacking to say the least. I remember as a child we had polar bears and all kinds of exotics but not any more. Although we do have to fairly large Sulcatas which is where I spend alot of my time. I need to look into reptilemania and see when they are doing it next so I can plan a visit.

Vincentdhr

5 Year Member
Stenty said:
Yesterday, I took a behind-the-scenes tour at San Diego Zoo as part of their Reptilemania event. We spent some time in the reptile house talking to a keeper and looking at some of the animals that were off-exhibit. He showed us the incubator room where there was a mata mata that has just hatched. It was still sitting inside the egg. We also saw a long neck turtle that had just hatched. Then we went to the Galapagos exhibit where we got to feed them and tour the new barn. We also had a private golfcart tour of the zoo. We stopped to look at various reptiles (and other animals) along the way. It was a fantastic tour and very informative. It isn't offered very often, so I'm so glad I was able to go.

Hey look, Speedy is the leftmost tortoise in the picture. He is the oldest and largest tortoise at the San Diego Zoo. The herd here is currently the largest of Galapagos tortoises outside of their homeland.

Status
Not open for further replies.