Reptimat plastic thread fibers wrapped around tail what do I do!?

XoKIKIxO

Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA
Hello I'm Kiki I have a tortoise named herman he/she is a Hermann's tortoise who is 3 my husband named him. I notice this morning that my tort had fibers wrapped around her tail enough to indent into her tail an I'm currently soaking her and put some coconut oil to soften an maybe untangle the fibers I think she is hurting .gonna take her to the vet anyways after I have to wait till husband gets home. Any ideas how to maybe untangle easier.the fibers are from the reptimat we have in the enclosure.throwing it out never to buy it again.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I wouldn't take her to the vet. They could do more harm then good. See if you can get a small knife, blade up, up under the fibers and cut them. You can also try to find an end and untangle them. You could use a tooth pick or similar to get up under them and then a small pair of scissors may fit in there to cut.
I didn't think the mat would do something like this. I should have figured it would, as this is one reason why moss shouldn't be used.
Once you get it off, she should be fine. If you see any cuts, just add an antibiotic cream to it and she should heal fine.
Good luck keep us posted.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello I'm Kiki I have a tortoise named herman he/she is a Hermann's tortoise who is 3 my husband named him. I notice this morning that my tort had fibers wrapped around her tail enough to indent into her tail an I'm currently soaking her and put some coconut oil to soften an maybe untangle the fibers I think she is hurting .gonna take her to the vet anyways after I have to wait till husband gets home. Any ideas how to maybe untangle easier.the fibers are from the reptimat we have in the enclosure.throwing it out never to buy it again.
I agree with Wellington.

Here is the correct care info. There is a care sheet for your temperate species at the bottom: