Reptisun 10.0 or 5.0?? Lighting for Leopards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neal

Well-Known Member
10 Year Member!
Joined
Apr 15, 2010
Messages
4,969
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
DesertGrandma said:
Guess I should clarify my question a bit. I am wanting to know if having a ZooMed Reptisun 10.0 bulb only 12-14 inches away from the substrate would in any way be harmful to my leo torts. I have tried to research the subject but can't find anywhere that describes the difference between using the 5.0 and the 10.0. I am only assuming that it might have something to do with the height you plan to put it from your tortoise (as is the case with the MVB bulbs), but I am only speculating on this. If the 10.0 is not harmful at 12-14 inches away from the substrate then that is what I plan to get. I really don't want to hang the light any higher than that if I can at all avoid it. Would appreciate hearing some advice from some of our experts on lighting and safety. Thanks again.

Hi Joy,

I am using the 10.0 florescent with 2 full spectrum florescent, one plant bulb, and a powersun MVB and natural sunlight. All of my florescent bulbs hang approx 13" above the substrate. I have had this set up for about 2 months and have not seen any issues at all, in fact I think I can make the argument that the more "good" lighting you have, the better. When I switched from just the MVB to this new lighting system almost immediately I noticed an increase in activity level and appetite in my tortoises.

Without a doubt, your MVB and AZ sun will have your UVB needs covered so you really don't need the bulb...but, I would suggest you do get it and, if you can, also get a coupe more (full spectrum, and plant bulb). For me, it's a matter of going from good to great.

I'm sorry, I can't give you much info on the difference between the 5.0 and 10.0 as far as distance goes. But I've used 10.0 florescent in other set ups and I have never had it more than about 13 - 14" above substrate level.
 

DesertGrandma

Well-Known Member
10 Year Member!
Joined
Apr 30, 2011
Messages
2,131
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Neal said:
DesertGrandma said:
Guess I should clarify my question a bit. I am wanting to know if having a ZooMed Reptisun 10.0 bulb only 12-14 inches away from the substrate would in any way be harmful to my leo torts. I have tried to research the subject but can't find anywhere that describes the difference between using the 5.0 and the 10.0. I am only assuming that it might have something to do with the height you plan to put it from your tortoise (as is the case with the MVB bulbs), but I am only speculating on this. If the 10.0 is not harmful at 12-14 inches away from the substrate then that is what I plan to get. I really don't want to hang the light any higher than that if I can at all avoid it. Would appreciate hearing some advice from some of our experts on lighting and safety. Thanks again.

Hi Joy,

I am using the 10.0 florescent with 2 full spectrum florescent, one plant bulb, and a powersun MVB and natural sunlight. All of my florescent bulbs hang approx 13" above the substrate. I have had this set up for about 2 months and have not seen any issues at all, in fact I think I can make the argument that the more "good" lighting you have, the better. When I switched from just the MVB to this new lighting system almost immediately I noticed an increase in activity level and appetite in my tortoises.

Without a doubt, your MVB and AZ sun will have your UVB needs covered so you really don't need the bulb...but, I would suggest you do get it and, if you can, also get a coupe more (full spectrum, and plant bulb). For me, it's a matter of going from good to great.

I'm sorry, I can't give you much info on the difference between the 5.0 and 10.0 as far as distance goes. But I've used 10.0 florescent in other set ups and I have never had it more than about 13 - 14" above substrate level.


Thanks Neal. With this newer setup it sounds like you are hitting all bases. Your plants are able to survive too. I have read that the fluorescent UVA/UVB tube lights made a difference in the tortoise attitude (appetite, activity) like you have observed. I wonder if this is due to the extra light, or to the extra UVA/UVB in the light. I might experiment a little and try a plain fluorescent tube and then switch to the reptisun tube to see if I observe any difference in their activity level, etc. My new enclosure is just about done. Just need to get the lid holes cut out and buy the plexiglass. Lowe's will cut the plexiglass for me any size I want.

Angela, thanks for posting that info from ZooMed. It is really really helpful.
 

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
Joined
May 6, 2010
Messages
4,407
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
DesertGrandma said:
My new enclosure is just about done. Just need to get the lid holes cut out and buy the plexiglass. Lowe's will cut the plexiglass for me any size I want.

Will Lowe's cut the lid holes for you as well?
 

DesertGrandma

Well-Known Member
10 Year Member!
Joined
Apr 30, 2011
Messages
2,131
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
DeanS said:
DesertGrandma said:
My new enclosure is just about done. Just need to get the lid holes cut out and buy the plexiglass. Lowe's will cut the plexiglass for me any size I want.

Will Lowe's cut the lid holes for you as well?

Dang. I just wrote out my reply and then hit the wrong key and it all disappeared, ughhhh. Okay back to that. No, my hubby will cut the holes in the lid when I decide exactly where I want them to be. Can't decide that until it is all set up and I see where all the light/heat fixtures will work. Now testing heat/humidity/light to make sure where I want them. Instead of one big hole in the top,I want to have three. That way I can move the plexiglasss around to try to get the best coverage. Will decide on the sizes of plexiglass once the lid is cut and I can see what I need. You can see where the lighting is important...don't want them sitting in a dark hole.

Guess I could have had round holes cut in the plexiglass to accomodate the light fixtures, but I thought this way would be a little more flexible in case I decide later to move a fixture.
 

Neal

Well-Known Member
10 Year Member!
Joined
Apr 15, 2010
Messages
4,969
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
DesertGrandma said:
I have read that the fluorescent UVA/UVB tube lights made a difference in the tortoise attitude (appetite, activity) like you have observed. I wonder if this is due to the extra light, or to the extra UVA/UVB in the light.

Remember too that reptiles see differently than humans do. Here are a couple of good sources for lighting info.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Practical-Lighting-for-Tortoise-Keepers#axzz1eNJ23ZEI

http://www.reptileuvinfo.com/docs/aspects-of-light-and-reptile-immunity.pdf

http://www.reptileuvinfo.com/
 

DesertGrandma

Well-Known Member
10 Year Member!
Joined
Apr 30, 2011
Messages
2,131
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Neal said:
DesertGrandma said:
I have read that the fluorescent UVA/UVB tube lights made a difference in the tortoise attitude (appetite, activity) like you have observed. I wonder if this is due to the extra light, or to the extra UVA/UVB in the light.

Remember too that reptiles see differently than humans do. Here are a couple of good sources for lighting info.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Practical-Lighting-for-Tortoise-Keepers#axzz1eNJ23ZEI

http://www.reptileuvinfo.com/docs/aspects-of-light-and-reptile-immunity.pdf

http://www.reptileuvinfo.com/

Wow Neal. These are great links. I had read the one by Balboa before and wasn't able to understand all of it, but as my understanding of lighting increases so does my ability to understand his reasoning and techniques. It just further points out how amazing our natural outdoor sunshine is. Trying to replicate that is complex to say the least.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Posts

Top