Reptisun 10.0 T5 for Redfoot???

kkrista123

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
Hello!! All the reptisun uvb bulbs always confused me. Just wanted to make sure the one I’m using is sufficient. If there’s a better bulb to order for next time, please share.
I’m using reptisun 10.0 uvb T5 HO high output 24 watts, 55 cm for my 6 inch Redfoot. He/she weighs 425 grams.
Here’s some pics I took right after waking him/her up earlier today :)
E25D589B-2ABB-43D7-9906-8CCFC01CAAAD.jpeg47152ACD-16A6-4AC8-AC65-4C4E0AF5F9A7.jpeg

kkrista123

Pennsylvania
Just finished dinner, still has food all over, lol!! We’ve had him or her for about 5 months now. Yeah, I know... I probably should have checked if my bulb was sufficient sooner.
25E3AE5B-7F9C-470D-8B1A-CBC3841EC9C9.jpeg4935FE5C-AA7C-4F45-8207-7A4AC125DB5F.jpeg81DAEA0B-DB65-429A-B7ED-4F5BD7D25723.jpeg

rmn813

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
Hi @ kkrista123, Where is Hatboro? There are a lot of unknowns right now with artificial UVB. Is he able to spend anytime outdoors? If he's able to spend sufficient time outdoors, you wouldn't really need the bulb.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Hey, did you sterilize that water for your tort? Or is it already purified...tap water always has to be filtered before your tort can go into it/drink it
That's not true. Tap water is fine. If it's safe for you to drink and bathe in it's safe for your tort.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Oh...how about in NY then? I was told by an exotic species vet that I had to purify it...are they wrong? Also they said there was chlorine in the water too
It's fine. Folks here, myself included, have been using tap water for many years. Most Vets have no idea what they're talking about when it comes to Torts.

kkrista123

Pennsylvania
Hi @ kkrista123, Where is Hatboro? There are a lot of unknowns right now with artificial UVB. Is he able to spend anytime outdoors? If he's able to spend sufficient time outdoors, you wouldn't really need the bulb.

Yeah that is why I am so confused... :( Unfortunately I am in PA and most of the year he can't be outside. It just got warm enough to be outside for any amount of time. He was super sluggish and needed to light to prevent hibernating tactics while indoors. Just want to do what's best for him :)

kkrista123

Pennsylvania
Hey, did you sterilize that water for your tort? Or is it already purified...tap water always has to be filtered before your tort can go into it drink it

Never heard of this so honestly never even thought of it. I've always used tap water considering my towns water is fairly pure. If the water was bad quality around me, I'd probably just use spring water. Someone correct me if I should be doing things differently!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Oh...how about in NY then? I was told by an exotic species vet that I had to purify it...are they wrong? Also they said there was chlorine in the water too
You might have some super funky water there.
I don't know.
But if its human safe, its tortoise safe.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Thank you!!! I will double check that my light is 20” above and order a 5.0 for next time!!
As has been mentioned, when the weather is nicer, real sunlight a few hours a week can replace those lamps.
Redfoot rely on diet and UV.
They're not as UV dependent as some other species.