Reputation points...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
sort of going the route of ebay, no negative in the seller side comments?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
How about "The most censored person on the forum, and I'm only semi okay with that" :D

Danny

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
egyptiandan said:
How about "The most censored person on the forum, and I'm only semi okay with that" :D

Danny

Maybe over the history of the forum, but in the short-term, I think the title has been taken from me. The unfortunate part is that it's my best posts that get deleted. I wish there was a way I could find all the posts I've made that have been deleted, there were some good ones in there LOL. :)

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
stells said:
You know what though... some offtopic banter... never hurt anyone... its good to have some fun... and allows others to get to know your humour a little better... things just get too uptight sometimes...

I agree Kelly! I belong to a few other forums and while there has been the occasional, "okay, let's try to get back on topic" I've never really seen posts get deleted because they're off topic. If the OP has a problem with it, then they should say something, but otherwise it's like having a conversation. I go off on tangents all the time! Obviously. :D

...this post is totally off-topic :p I really am the worst about that, sorry!!

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
stells said:
Do we need them?

Do we want them?

Should Mods/admin give them out?

IMO... they cause more hassle than they are worth... i don't really have the time for them... no before someone says it... not because i haven't got many... tbh i don't expect to have many lol

I also think Mods/admins shouldn't give them out... as this can be looked at as favouratism... towards members...

If they are to stay... i think newbies should have to make a certain number of posts before reps can be given... as some people could see a relative newbie to tortoises... who could be giving out not the best info.... and without looking into detail at what they have been given them for... just think they must know what they are talking about...

Don't worry i do not have anyone in mind as i type this thread... but i wasn't allowed to put this on the end of another thread... due to it being offtopic... :D

O.K. it's less then 24 hours since this thread started and the reputation points are already gone? Wow Kelly I'm impressed, let me know how you did that will you please? :D Too bad it went from experienced tortoise keepers to popularity contest. :(

TylerStewart said:
I had a good post about this yesterday that shockingly was quickly deleted.... I figured it would be, since most of what I post has been, but I made a copy of it in case LOL.... Here's the most relevant part to this thread:

I say screw the reputation points - get rid of them. All they have ever been is a way for one person to go after another. It's still beyond me why anyone really cares about them in the first place, but it is what it is. All it takes is for someone to kiss everyone's rear end and get them stacked up. We all know that is the quick way to get them. Welcome everyone new into the forum 50 times a day and you'll have rep points stacking up, plain and simple. Just because they have 500 reputation points doesn't mean half the forum doesn't think he or she is a doofus.

It scares me to think that new people are relying on information from the people with high reputation points with the thought that it makes accurate what they're saying. In reality, it means that they talk a lot.

I agree with this statement to a point and that point is there was a few on here when I started that their points did tell you something about their experience as tortoise keepers. By the way Tyler, how many did you have anyway? Did I ever give you one? :D :p Well I meant to anyway, sorry but they're gone now. ;)

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
ChiKat said:
stells said:
You know what though... some offtopic banter... never hurt anyone... its good to have some fun... and allows others to get to know your humour a little better... things just get too uptight sometimes...

I agree Kelly! I belong to a few other forums and while there has been the occasional, "okay, let's try to get back on topic" I've never really seen posts get deleted because they're off topic. If the OP has a problem with it, then they should say something, but otherwise it's like having a conversation. I go off on tangents all the time! Obviously. :D

...this post is totally off-topic :p I really am the worst about that, sorry!!

I thought that Off Topic was just that, Off Topic. I didn't know they were being deleted. That doesn't seem right at all.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
put your reputation or years of expereince in your signature.. so long as its OT and not offensive.. ?

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Been wondering for a while-what do the yellow stars mean-sorry if this is considered slightly off topic?
Louise

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
The stars are set at artbitrary post counts (i.e. 1,000 posts = 4 stars or something). They are unrelated to reputation points or anything other than post count

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I see the reputation points are gone. I really didn't care one way or the other. I kind of feel bad that I didn't get around to giving someone a point the deserved one.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Angi said:
I see the reputation points are gone. I really didn't care one way or the other. I kind of feel bad that I didn't get around to giving someone a point the deserved one.

You know what Angi, I bet they would love to know how you felt. Why not PM them and let them know? You don't need the points there to share a word of praise or a pat on the back. Sure they might help remind us to give out some positive feedback, but it is not the only way to do so.

River14

5 Year Member
I agree with the premise of this post. Mods should decide which are best value threads due to activity or subject matter, consensus or what ever and perhaps sticky them, but the rest is not needed. And if needed it should be members who decide what to rate a post or thread. Did it help them did it help their pet did it help for specifics etc., its only the members who know?

Im a newbie but this is indeed how many forums work, on poster ratings. End of the day when the sun goes down an average rating is apparent and can be used automatically if needed? This can then be attributed to the thread as a whole. Sometimes even an innocent question from a non reptile keeper has enormous value? Not so?

What I love about this forum is that there seems to be democratically elected change going on all the time. Its a bit of a marvel as so many fine forums have died a horrible death due to autocratic moderators. I would now like to score the thread? Ok if its out of ten then 9, if its six stars 5 lol

Its only this way that a good rating for information across the board can be ascertained.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
At first I thought they were very useful since in a blink of an eye, it was easy to know the "experience" of a user but since a little while, I think there was an abuse and I agree with people that say that it turned into a competition. It is sad to say but I am glad they were taken off.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Josh said:
The stars are set at artbitrary post counts (i.e. 1,000 posts = 4 stars or something). They are unrelated to reputation points or anything other than post count

I think it's 4 = 800 posts 5 stars =1000 posts and 8 stars = 2000 posts

I don't believe you get your 9th star until you hit something like 8-10k posts.

S

stells

Well what can i say Candy... sometimes... if you don't ask... you don't get LOL

Glad that most seem happy about this... Thanks guys...

*takes a bow*

Status
Not open for further replies.