Reputation points...

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

stells

Your a bad bad lady Jacqui...

You know what though... some offtopic banter... never hurt anyone... its good to have some fun... and allows others to get to know your humour a little better... things just get too uptight sometimes...

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Sorry Going OT a little, I tough in the debate section it was ok to go OT?
Now as for the reputation points, I would still stay and offer help whether or not if they were there, so keep them, don't keep them, I personally don't care, as for newbies, maybe they use them as a guide like to see of someone's advice is trustworthy, say someone with 1 point says feed you tort fruits and vegetables and no water what so ever, and someone with 15 points says no no no don't do that. maybe it helps them figuring out who's advice to take.

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
I think they are a waste of time. It appears nothing is sacred or private on TFO. I know discaplinary action taken against me was shared to others members by the mods. I know PMs sent to the mods can and have been shared amongst the mods. Nothing on this site is sacred. Another forum member hinted to me on a post about my future banning a forum contributor. I know other members are cruisin the foum with a 50% warning and why should I know that...because nothing on this site is private, thats why. Well up untill Josh wiped the slate clean. Some of the moderating team reminds me a sewing circle. I know that mods have given members + for the sole reason that they stood up to me or challenged me. By the way I got my PM back from Jenn and she stated that I never berated her on the open forum ever and understands why I gave her a negative AND a positive rating. Its funny that the person you all gave a + to for dinging my rep, gave me a + just yesterday. Some of you mods made a mounain out of a mole hill. End of Story

Jacqui said:
Thank you for starting this thread! :)

I personally also think they serve no real useful purpose and should be gotten rid of. However, I do know a few folks who are very passionate about their points.

I am going to disagree about Mods not using them, if ratings are kept. I give very few out, that I will admit, but still think I deserve the ability to do so if I choose. As a Mod no matter what I do or say, somebody or other takes it as showing favoritism. Mods are not as freely allowed to say things in the forum and now it appears private messages are no longer private. If you also take away the rating ability from Mods (me in this case), you leave me no place to be allowed to make comments, to praise new folks, and encourage people from voicing their thoughts. I already do not allow myself to make friends in here, just because that would appear as major favoritism.

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
wrmitchell22 said:
jaizei said:
Maybe get rid of the points/scorekeeping but still allow comments to be posted.

I agree with this Idea, I actually do pay attention to the points because I am new to Torts and want to judge who has helped with good info in the past, that is what the points should mean, or maybe thats what I thought they meant to begin with. I thought the points were sort of like on ebay, they help you judge who to trust and who hasn't contributed enough info to help.
Now I see that the points don't really work that way. I guess on a Forum it is hard to know who has the best care info and who doesn't.

I disagree with the "you haven't contributed enough info to help" line. Just because there is not a slew of comments saying the same thing, or consensus on something, does not mean that whatever point being made is not helpful or to be trusted.

I think this is a great site for checking what others have done/are doing etc...but because I am both a new member, and working full time in the field (with torts), doesn't mean that I do not know enough to contribute-only perhaps that I am not as available to read every post on the forum. I of course do welcome anyone to message/email me anytime with questions about my posts.

As for the reputation numbers, I generally only use that to judge how long someone has been an active member of the forum & how well known they are by the regulars. There are both wonderful long-time tort experts out there, as well as some boxes of rocks for brains that have been working with animals just as long.

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Hope this is still on topic. In light of recent events I am offering the following service. For all of you that like the rep points stuff I offer this. I guarantee your rep points going up by atlest 3 points if you do the following. Send me $3 dollars and I will give you a negative rating, nothing harsh, but a negative. At that point your reps will be increased by atleast 3 regular forum memers and 2 mods. Sound good to you?

S

stells

My $3 is on its way... come on 7 and you have 18... so not fair... i was here first... ner ner

LOL

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
stells said:
My $3 is on its way... come on 7 and you have 18... so not fair... i was here first... ner ner

LOL

Sorry Kelly, I dont think it will work for you. Kind of a double negative, that wont equal a positve in your case. I should put a disclaimer. It will not work for those who have given me a + and probably Tyler. LOL

B K

5 Year Member
I think it should be changed to something else reputation to me is more of a comment as to the persons character. I don’t post a lot or answer any questions because I’m not comfortable telling others about tortoise I’m still learning myself and I’m defiantly not going to give advice on something someone just taught me. So my reputation will stay low does that mean that I’m not a reputable Pearson. Let’s call them Skill points

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I was thinking about the reputation points last night did not have time to post got home from work and found this thread :) I think the points are useless they serve no purpose last night a member went from 1 to 8 it about two hour what are voting for American Idol ? :p keep the comments get rid of the points what are they really for any way ?:D

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
American idol LOL. Good post Corey

coreyc said:
I was thinking about the reputation points last night did not have time to post got home from work and found this thread :) I think the points are useless they serve no purpose last night a member went from 1 to 8 it about two hour what are voting for American Idol ? :p keep the comments get rid of the points what are they really for any way ?:D

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
I had a good post about this yesterday that shockingly was quickly deleted.... I figured it would be, since most of what I post has been, but I made a copy of it in case LOL.... Here's the most relevant part to this thread:

I say screw the reputation points - get rid of them. All they have ever been is a way for one person to go after another. It's still beyond me why anyone really cares about them in the first place, but it is what it is. All it takes is for someone to kiss everyone's rear end and get them stacked up. We all know that is the quick way to get them. Welcome everyone new into the forum 50 times a day and you'll have rep points stacking up, plain and simple. Just because they have 500 reputation points doesn't mean half the forum doesn't think he or she is a doofus.

It scares me to think that new people are relying on information from the people with high reputation points with the thought that it makes accurate what they're saying. In reality, it means that they talk a lot.

Az tortoise compound

5 Year Member
Arizona
TylerStewart said:
I had a good post about this yesterday that shockingly was quickly deleted.... I figured it would be, since most of what I post has been, but I made a copy of it in case LOL.... Here's the most relevant part to this thread:

I say screw the reputation points - get rid of them. All they have ever been is a way for one person to go after another. It's still beyond me why anyone really cares about them in the first place, but it is what it is. All it takes is for someone to kiss everyone's rear end and get them stacked up. We all know that is the quick way to get them. Welcome everyone new into the forum 50 times a day and you'll have rep points stacking up, plain and simple. Just because they have 500 reputation points doesn't mean half the forum doesn't think he or she is a doofus.

It scares me to think that new people are relying on information from the people with high reputation points with the thought that it makes accurate what they're saying. In reality, it means that they talk a lot.

You are absolutely correct. That was a good post.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Hey, the rep. points went bye bye.

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
TylerStewart said:

Well put Tyler, couldnt agree more.
Sounds familiar...

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
Reputations are gone for now. There is a chance they may come back as a "positive-only comments" type thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.