Rescued a Czar this weekend

Eltemp

Location (City and/or State)
St. Peter, MN
This weekend we were outside making a new outdoor pen for our two Russians and got a message from a friend about a Cragslist Russian that needed saving in the next town over. Called the lady up and came home with him(I believe its a him) an hour later. She had him 8 years and kept him in a zoomed tortoise cage. It didn't sound like he has ever been soaked unless he climbed in his water bowl which was not quite big enough to fit him in. No hide of any sort and the substrate was outdoor carpet. he was only fed romaine and kale. The center scutes on seemed to be indented and his carapace has some old deep scuffs and he is shedding skin quite a bit. He is very shy. I have him quarantined for now not sure if that will be permanent or not, only time will tell. Not sure why a parent would ever buy a pet for a 7 year old that will outlive him. That is a big choice for a kid to make.
czar1.jpg czar2.jpg czar3.jpg czar4.jpg

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Not sure why a parent would ever buy a pet for a 7 year old that will outlive him. That is a big choice for a kid to make.
I am not gojng to make a guess at gender because I will get it wrong. However, 44 years ago a parent bought a 7 year old a TGG called Joe... and Joe is still happily part of the family :) Sometimes, the parent wants a tort too... it's a bit like buying a train set for a baby, they'll grow into it. Unfortunately, sometimes the parent isn't as interested as they thought.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
That tail is small, but also thick. But I am gonna lean female.

Eltemp

St. Peter, MN
Oh good I was not real sure. I am glad she looks like a girl.
Glad to hear Joe worked out and is still around.
Guess I will have to find a new name since czar is the king. Wonder what they call a queen in Russia.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree, looks female too me, but I'm no expert either and usually am wrong:( I do think it's okay to buy a child a tortoise, only if the parent is willing to care for it properly along with the child, or if the child decides he or she is no longer interested.

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
The tort looks to be in good condition. I would still quarantine just to be safe ^_^