Rescued a Star Tortoise. Is that ok??

indianstar.aj

Location (City and/or State)
Hyderabad,India
Guys I recently found a star Tortoise and I felt that it went through some harsh conditions as I notice something unusual in it's bottom. Can anyone help me in looking at it and also with care sheet and sex determination. Posting the picture of other one I have too. Help me in identifying the sex of both, what will be the expected age of both and since when Indian star Tortoise stars mating and laying eggs.
The first 2 pics are of rescued one and other two pics are the one with me now IMG_20190110_120618.jpegIMG_20190110_120626.jpegIMG_20190110_120739.jpegIMG_20190110_120756.jpeg

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Since your from India it was probably wild caught and that’s an old scar or shell rot. Looks like it’s healing and should be ok. Age is nearly impossible to tell on tortoises unless you know the hatch date. They are both males so don’t need to worry about breeding.

I would still keep them separate, because the one you just got looks wild caught and can pass on pathogens to your other one. At least until you quarantine it for a few months. Indian males aren’t usually aggressive to each other. But I would still discourage putting 2 tortoises together.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Does India have laws in place to protect their native wildlife? It may not be ok to keep it.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
If you found it in the wild you didn't rescue it you abducted it.