Rescued egg but which way is up

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbaracarr

5 Year Member
My desert tortoise dug a hole for her 2nd clutch in the exact same spot as the 1st. Sadly her 1st eggs (except 1) were destroyed. I rescued one egg but I don't know which way is up. The shell appears to be thicker or more solid on one half than the other, which is more transparent. Any suggestions? Barb California

lvstorts

10 Year Member!
barbaracarr said:
My desert tortoise dug a hole for her 2nd clutch in the exact same spot as the 1st. Sadly her 1st eggs (except 1) were destroyed. I rescued one egg but I don't know which way is up. The shell appears to be thicker or more solid on one half than the other, which is more transparent. Any suggestions? Barb California

Sounds like you got the egg around the time it was laid. If so, the embryo hasn't attached yet. Usually have 1-2 weeks, depending on species and I don't have a clue on Desert torts.

The thickness of the shell on one half makes me think it may be a bit calcified. Hard to tell on eggs like that. Can you post a pic?

Put it in the incubator and see what happens!

barbaracarr

5 Year Member
The rescued egg is from the 1st clutch making it 33 days old. I currently have the egg with the seemingly thicker side up. I'll take a pic tonight, hopefully the camera can capture the shell thickness difference. Is there an issue with calcification of the shell. thanks

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
its whatever side was up when you took if from the ground..
just a note tho... you are not supposed to artificially incubate Desert Tort eggs..

barbaracarr

5 Year Member
Read the full thread - the tortoise dug them up, I just rescued the last one before it was smashed like all the others. I will take the other advice to not incubate as aI m a believer in letting nature take its course - back in the dirt it goes.

mctlong

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SF Valley, SoCal
Sometimes what state or Fish & Game regulations say is the "right thing" is not necesaarly in the best interest of the animal. I would've done the exact same thing if I were in your shoes and I would've gone further and incubated the egg to give it the best chance of hatching. IMO, it would be worth any fine I'd get if anyone actually enforced the regulations and fined me.

Just my opinion though, wouldn't want to encourage anyone to break any laws. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.