Rescued marginated - is he sick or sulking ?

Mmkk

Location (City and/or State)
Uk
Anyone know how to help with constipation ? I don’t relish squirting oil up his cloaca as suggested by someone :-o
I do squirt water into his mouth and let him soak for 20mins a day.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I know that warm soaks are helpful and effective with constipation, in any reptile. Especially if the water is maintained warm, and the animal has space in which to move around trying to get out, the movement helps it along. Just watch that the tort does not tip over.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Put him in the human bath tub (after you clean it well and rinse it good!) with water that comes up to the middle of his sides. Just leave him in there for an hour or so. Scrambling around in the tub, trying to get out, loosens up the bowel and you'll have a big, dirty mess in no time. Pay attention every so often just to make sure he's not tipped over on his back.

Mmkk

Uk
How is he doing?
He had his bath as usual, tepid and to his lower jaw line. He tries to get out and when ready I make him walk across the soft grass to try to stimulate something.
Still no deposit, he did eat a bit again but he eats so little, and only those pellets so there’s probably not much waste anyway.
Someone on the forum said theirs often goes 3 or 4 weeks without pooping so we’ll just persevere...

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
He had his bath as usual, tepid and to his lower jaw line. He tries to get out and when ready I make him walk across the soft grass to try to stimulate something.
Still no deposit, he did eat a bit again but he eats so little, and only those pellets so there’s probably not much waste anyway.
Someone on the forum said theirs often goes 3 or 4 weeks without pooping so we’ll just persevere...
Make sure he is in the warm water for at least half an hour, if not more. If this does not work soon, a visit to a good herp vet would be in order.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
And three or four weeks without pooping does not sound normal to me, but I am no expert.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think you've missed the point. A bath 'as usual' wasn't what I was suggesting. Being put in a LARGE tub of water with room to scramble around and try to get out, being left in there for a half hour or an hour, was what I was suggesting.

Mmkk

Uk
I think you've missed the point. A bath 'as usual' wasn't what I was suggesting. Being put in a LARGE tub of water with room to scramble around and try to get out, being left in there for a half hour or an hour, was what I was suggesting.

I put him in a large bath, as I usually do !
A small paddling pool which he scrabbles around in for a good 20 minutes, but I will extend it to 40 minimum and keep it topped up with warm water. I sit by him the whole time in case of accident.
Thankyou for the advice, I really appreciate it :)

Mmkk

Uk
Hurrah !
Finally! And thanks to all the good advice Spiro has at last done a little soft poop, is eating a bit more and hopefully now on the road to normality.
An extra long soak in the bath and an extra long walk must have got things going.
Now I know he’s not blocked up I won’t worry so much.

Mmkk

Uk
Today I plucked up the courage to trim Spiro’s beak, and lo and behold, he has never eaten so much since I’ve had him !
Now I feel really bad for not doing it sooner as this has obviously been part of the problem of him not eating...
I have a slate for his food and am not afraid anymore to trim it when necessary.
We’re well on the road to recovery now !

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Good to hear he is eating

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Dandelions, clover are some of mines favorites. as well as pellets (I also give him 1 or 2 blueberries when he won't eat anything) not often but it hydrates him and gets him to poop and pee. Also he looks like he could use a cuttlebone, for calcium and beak wear. Very cute tortoise, thanks for giving him a home :)

Mmkk

Uk
Dandelions, clover are some of mines favorites. as well as pellets (I also give him 1 or 2 blueberries when he won't eat anything) not often but it hydrates him and gets him to poop and pee. Also he looks like he could use a cuttlebone, for calcium and beak wear. Very cute tortoise, thanks for giving him a home :)
Yep, dandelions and clover go down well and now he is mad for cucumber, likes tomato and mixed salad leaves. I’ve weaned him off the pellets but he has them once in a while. He has put on weight and is soooo much better. But he is still pretty inactive, doesn’t get up unless I make him, and hides when outside. He was nibbling a cuttlebone this very morning !!
Thanks for your comments- all appreciated

Mmkk

Uk
Update on Spiro...
He spent the winter indoors with several ladies and whilst he showed no interest in them, he did seem to eat better.
Now he is alone again, no change since last July. He loves strawberry and banana and sometimes even rejects the dreaded pellets. Still agrophobic but I put him in a safe pen outside for a couple hours to get proper sunshine. He hides as soon as he can and only mooches about when he is indoors.
I don’t worry about him any more...he just my little weirdo ?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Update on Spiro...
He spent the winter indoors with several ladies and whilst he showed no interest in them, he did seem to eat better.
Now he is alone again, no change since last July. He loves strawberry and banana and sometimes even rejects the dreaded pellets. Still agrophobic but I put him in a safe pen outside for a couple hours to get proper sunshine. He hides as soon as he can and only mooches about when he is indoors.
I don’t worry about him any more...he just my little weirdo ?
Good for you for persevering with this little guy! Glad he is doing OK.