Rescued Redfoot Poop

JonN

Location (City and/or State)
South Mississippi
In February I got a rescued male Redfoot believed to be 8 years old. I have yet to see or find any solid poop. Should I be concerned?

zovick

10 Year Member!
That is a really long time for the tortoise not to go to the bathroom. When you say you've seen no "solid poop", does that mean the tortoise is having very loose stools or does that mean you see no stools at all?

Second, are you sure you aren't missing it? It is possible the tortoise is eating his own poop as well, which might mean you seeing nothing.

Are you soaking that tortoise daily to see if it helps him go?

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Give him a nice long soak in warm water... in my experience that seldom fails to produce a poop among my torts.

I'm assuming he eats OK, or that you would have mentioned that as the primary problem.

Jamie

JonN

South Mississippi
That is a really long time for the tortoise not to go to the bathroom. When you say you've seen no "solid poop", does that mean the tortoise is having very loose stools or does that mean you see no stools at all?

Second, are you sure you aren't missing it? It is possible the tortoise is eating his own poop as well, which might mean you seeing nothing.

Are you soaking that tortoise daily to see if it helps him go?

While he was indoors I would see wet areas with white stuff. I would soak him for 20 to 40 minutes every couple days. One week I soaked him every day, but still no solid poop or anything that looked like diarrhea. Once it warmed up he went to his outdoor enclosure. Since outside I still see no solid poop or wet areas with white stuff. I only soak him every once in a while because I will see him drinking or in his water tray. He will sometimes spend 2 days in his hide. Is it common for redfoots to eat their poop? That could explain why he sometimes doesn't eat much.

JonN

South Mississippi
Give him a nice long soak in warm water... in my experience that seldom fails to produce a poop among my torts.

I'm assuming he eats OK, or that you would have mentioned that as the primary problem.

Jamie

I started soaking him the day after I got him. Everyday for 20 to 40 minutes with cold to warm water for a week. Up to the bridge to mostly submerged. His appetite has increased a lot since I got him. It could be better, his eating habits are all over the place. Sometimes he only eats a little, not at all, or mostly cleans the plate.