Rescued Sulcata WARNING!! GRAPHIC PIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I just found this thread and read it all. What a great story. Has all the makings of a great book. Does anyone know if ? Forgot her name has written it yet? I hope we get a update soon and pictures, please:D. Maybe you could mark your calendar to give us updates every so many months. I would love this little guys story to
continue for the rest of his or your life. Or at least until fully grown.

bubbles01

5 Year Member
Corfu, Greece
Yep, second that. I remember reading all about Cricket the first time. Would love to know how he is getting on x

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
Wow just found this for the first time! Go Cricket!! So glad he's had people from this forum in his corner, way to go ABPT!

Kvoigt

5 Year Member
South Dakota
holy cow ... i just read all 24 pages of this lil guys life.. what a trooper glad hes doing well!! great job!!:cool: i would LOVE to see some up to date pics of this lil guy! please lol:tort::p

Talka

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Wow! Updates please! I just found this thread and I am AMAZED by it. You could make a movie out of it! So much drama, so much strife, so much HARDCORE TORTOISE SURVIVAL!

I... I might have cried a little ; ;

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California
I am sad to say that by comparing these new pictures of Cricket to the last batch I posted here, he has lost his "baby face"!

I did not realize how long it has been since the last update on him. All is going well! Still working on the same things with him.... getting him to grow and grow smoothly! He's proving that as a challenge for me. Recently, he has been enjoying the yummy weeds in his outdoor enclosure, as well as being able to soak up the sun (thank you weird CA "winter" weather!). His beak is a little overgrown, but I am trying to get him to continue eating on the tile again. He still LOVES his Mazuri too!

About a month ago he had a bout of bugger nose, but I immediately started him up on his nose drops again and all is well. He had been kept warm, so I was surprised when I noticed it.

I need to clear the weeds out of his outdoor enclosure again, but plan to do some re-arranging and remodeling to all the enclosures soon anyways.

2q0n90l.jpg

1zxbg9j.jpg

Either showing off his little stub, waving.... or hiding his face from the camera (I think the latter).

103bxhv.jpg

dh8mit.jpg

15ey692.jpg

1j2tjm.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
How very interesting the new shell growth is. Notice the double layer of coastal edges right above his head. There's the original, chewed edge and under that a brand new edge. He has a pretty grumpy-looking face, but he really looks great. Thank you so much for showing us an update. I've been wondering about him.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
I am glad you bumped this thread today when I was home because I would have been worthless if I was at work reading it. I have to say that I am so amazed and impressed by APBT. You and your little cricket are such fighters. I cried my eyes out.
I know how it is to feel responsible for an accident with your animal baby. Last year I threw a ball for my lab and she over ran the throw, tried to turn and jump and had a spinal embolism when she landed ackward. I still have nightmares about her going down on the lawn screaming like a human and dragging herself towards me on her two front legs. She got immediate care by an emergency neurologist and now after physical therapy just has a little limp. I call it her swagger. She used to run up to 20 miles with me to prepare for marathons but now can only run about a mile and then has to walk a half mile so she doesn't get worn out and trip herself. I beat myself up so badly for throwing that ball. I threw it in an area that was on a hill and should have known she could jump and come down funny. I know in my heart I didn't intend to hurt her, but its that guilt that stabs you. Very few can understand that feeling, but don't beat yourself up. Accidents happen and you are working so hard to make it better.
Your cricket is such a cutie. He is such a fighter. APBT, you are a fighter too. You never gave up on that little guy and helped him succeed. In the wild, he wouldn't have survived, so you are a miracle for him.

bubbles01

5 Year Member
Corfu, Greece
Thanks for the update! I remember reading this ages ago and it took my breath away. He is looking great, well done x x x x x

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
Kerryann said:
I am glad you bumped this thread today when I was home because I would have been worthless if I was at work reading it. I have to say that I am so amazed and impressed by APBT. You and your little cricket are such fighters. I cried my eyes out.
I know how it is to feel responsible for an accident with your animal baby. Last year I threw a ball for my lab and she over ran the throw, tried to turn and jump and had a spinal embolism when she landed ackward. I still have nightmares about her going down on the lawn screaming like a human and dragging herself towards me on her two front legs. She got immediate care by an emergency neurologist and now after physical therapy just has a little limp. I call it her swagger. She used to run up to 20 miles with me to prepare for marathons but now can only run about a mile and then has to walk a half mile so she doesn't get worn out and trip herself. I beat myself up so badly for throwing that ball. I threw it in an area that was on a hill and should have known she could jump and come down funny. I know in my heart I didn't intend to hurt her, but its that guilt that stabs you. Very few can understand that feeling, but don't beat yourself up. Accidents happen and you are working so hard to make it better.
Your cricket is such a cutie. He is such a fighter. APBT, you are a fighter too. You never gave up on that little guy and helped him succeed. In the wild, he wouldn't have survived, so you are a miracle for him.
That happened to my dog too... she has a wobbly leg now but she's okay. She tried to chase a deer and bam, flipped over screaming. It was my fault. I told her she could because it was across a long flat yard, I knew she wouldn't go far and the deer was far away at the edge of the woods, I thought she'd enjoy just a moment of being a dog but that happened. My fault. Turns out, she had arthritis in her spine for a long time, and she was only 7 at the time. Sorry to go OT, that just struck home with me.

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
Great update! I'm glad to hear that Cricket's doing good! He still looks cute!

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
WOW! That little guy has had one hellofva life so far! Lets hope it calms down a little:p! What a trooper!

Status
Not open for further replies.