Rescued Sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cwt622

5 Year Member
Hello everyone, I just adopted a 9 year old Sulcata. The previous owner has fed him nothing but rabbit food and spinach. He did graze in the summer.. according to her. I got him home, Soaked him immediately cause of how dirty he was. I used the brush on his shell and cleaned him up. He is a beautiful tortoise. His shell is pyramided VERY BAD.. He has what looks like growth cracks in his shell. I was rubbing his shell and saw some dirt in the crack.. I used the tip of my finger nail to get it, and he jumped and ran.. and when I say ran.. I mean RAN.. I feel bad and I think I hurt him. The previous owner also never had water for him. I have been feeding him orchard mix with Romaine and Calcium powder cause he has had close to no calcium for the past 9 years. His back slants in from lack of calcium. What are the cracks that when I touch he jumps and freaks out and runs? Any ideas? thank you.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Crystal Unicorn
Welcome to the Forum!

Sounds like he may have a bad case of MBD (Metibolic Bone Diseace). Pics will help verify that.

Your on the right track, water, calcium, LOTS of Sunshine and a much better diet!. If he is used to dry rabbit food, he will absolutly LOVE Mazurri Tortoise Food and all the "natural" rabbit food you can give him (Lots of green, leafy vegitables!)

Cwt622

5 Year Member
Not the best photo, but its atleast a photo. I can get more later.

Attachments

• photo(4).JPG
    photo(4).JPG
    189.9 KB · Views: 69

Zamric

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Crystal Unicorn
Cwt622 said:
Not the best photo, but its atleast a photo. I can get more later.

I've seen worse!

Lots of water and leafy greens.... and plenty of sunsine!

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Add a cuttle bone to your offerings; keep up the soaking; get warm sunshine or proper lighting.

I'm guessing from the photo that he can climb over those walls.

And thanks for making his life better!

Cwt622

5 Year Member
His rear legs seem fine, No bowing or laziness in the rear legs. Very strong and can easily walk around and carry his own weight. His carapace is very flexible and soft. Not like rubber, but I can push down on it with my hand and it bends like a piece of hard plastic would.. His shell is not that soft, but around the edges and in some certain spots there are soft spots. He is such a good tortoise, he has a huge personality. its too bad someone didnt take care of him. I hope he will make it through all this.

Status
Not open for further replies.